Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Worth rigging an inner forestay

Hi Forum,

From this season's sailing there have been quite a number of times when I feel that a number 4 jib would have proven more useful than the heavily furled genoa.

Admittedly I am probably overly conservative with my reefing due to my inexperience, but when the wind is gusting above 15knts the Bolero heels heavy and my wife and I don't find the level of heel comfortable for a 2 or 3-hour cruise. Therefore we are reefing down (roller furling). Worth noting, to the boats praise, even when the genoa is rolled away to a hankerchief we can still make good progress but its is overtly obvious that the sail isn't set well and isnt happy.

The boat will be undergoing a minor refit at the end of season and I am wondering if it is wirth the expense and hassle of rigging an inner forestay what can accommodate a hanked on jib?

Default Re: Worth rigging an inner forestay

Do you mean like this: . . . . . . . . or this:

bolero-300x199.jpg preview_594905_1.jpg

Is yours fractional rig?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

You didn't mention the boat or rig type, so just generic advice:

It's probably cheaper to add a foam luff to the existing furling Genoa, which will improve its set when partially furled. It's more likely to get used than a hanked on jib. It also won't interfere with tacking (the Genoa) like an inner forestay will. A removable one is an option, but even more expensive and even less likely to get us

Hi, its fractional rigged.

With regards to the two pictures, I mean toe rail amidships well dug-in. Its not a safety concern, its a comfort issue.

Both pics are Boleros
    It's not too expensive to add a removable forestay if you DIY
    With a fractional rig, I would consider adding a forestay just forward of your existing one, it might be easier than behind, but only close up pics of existing mast and stemhead fittings would tell.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Ha, got you now... in that case its the second one, Bolero 25.5.

It was just a thought. This season I'm am finding so many little things that I'd like to change and improve - mostly just to increase comfort for cruising!

We carry a furling genoa for general use and a furling working jib made from stronger material, for heavier weather.

Weather forecasting is now much more accurate than it was a few years ago so we decide which foresail we are going to use before we leave port. Generally anything above F4 gets the smaller sail and anything below gets the genoa.

When I set the boat up for living aboard, and more adventurous cruising, I fitted a 2nd forestay which is generally just tied back to the shrouds but which can be rapidly set up with a Highfield lever mechanism to take a hanked on storm jib. I have to admit that I have never used it because we found that the working jib is perfectly usable up to F9. Hey, ho - one lives and learns.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

I fitted an inner forestay to take a No.3 jib in 2002. I have never used it.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I've carried a liferaft since 1992. Same outcome as that above....

I fitted a permanent inner forestay in 2014 to carry my working jib and stormsel ,and have used it regularly, however i am about as monouverable as an artic in a cul de sac, rolling in a genoa to tack is a pitta.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast