Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Worth rigging an inner forestay

it's a fractional rigged boat - it looks like 3/4 so the genny is going to be small in comparison to the main I guess?

in which case I'd have thought that you won't benefit from another fore-stay - it's better making sure you have a decent quality furling genny on the stay that you have - which will set nicely when reefed.

it may be that you would be better reefing the main first and keeping the genny fairly large as it's smallish anyway.

overall if your genny is sort of 135% ish then i think a removable forestay will be a wasted effort (happy to be corrected); focus on good sailcloth and trimming the sails to remove heel/sail the boat well perhaps

you mention being fairly new to this - have a look at some mainsail trimming videos to get used to depowering the main/dropping it down the track to reduce heel etc

anyway that's my five pennyworth

N

From my experience with fractional rig boats, I would consider getting a smaller jib to go on the furler.
    Maybe whatever coms youe way secondhand, maybe get something made.
    I'd be looking for a 'blade jib' which more or less fills the foretriangle but has no or negligible overlap with the main.
    You might need additional sheet tracks for this.
    But any smaller sail on the roller would be a good thing to try.

If you can get a half-decent club racing person to come out with you and give you feedback on your sail trim, that can be very valuable. Or go crewing on their boat and observe!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I've carried a liferaft since 1992. Same outcome as that above....
    Not quite comparable I think.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

We have an inner forestay on our Deb but we are set up the opposite way round to most people. The roller furler carries a self tacking blade jib, and the removable fs can be used for a storm jib (never been used) or a hank on huge lightweight overlapping genoa, which gets a lot of use.

Not really applicable to the OP but just thought I would mention that an inner fs can be very handy.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    You didn't mention the boat or rig type, so just generic advice:

It's probably cheaper to add a foam luff to the existing furling Genoa, which will improve its set when partially furled. It's more likely to get used than a hanked on jib. It also won't interfere with tacking (the Genoa) like an inner forestay will. A removable one is an option, but even more expensive and even less likely to get us
    Absolutely. A good quality genoa/jib with a foam luff is what you need. And in our case transformed our previous boat in winds above 20 knots (true) wind speed upwind. Goes faster and heels less.
    Avoid extra inner forestay unless doing long distance ocean sailing, as makes tacking a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Absolutely. A good quality genoa/jib with a foam luff is what you need. And in our case transformed our previous boat in winds above 20 knots (true) wind speed upwind. Goes faster and heels less.
    Avoid extra inner forestay unless doing long distance ocean sailing, as makes tacking a nightmare.
    We have a solent rig. This has two furlers set about 2ft apart. The outer furler has a 135% genoa. The inner furler has a working jib. In winds up to about 15/20 kts upwind, the genoa is the chosen sail. Above about 20kts the working jib is king. You don't need to go on the foredeck as weather and seas deteriorate. Both sails have foam luffs but in my experience heading up wind in stronger conditions you cant beat the smaller sail. Its triple stitched, heavy cloth and designed for the job. A foam luff in an overlapping genoa just doesnt compare. The smaller sail points higher, gives less heal and tacks easily. We have flown the working jib in winds up to 40kts with no problems.

Also consider using more backstay adjustment in heavy airs - depowers the main a bit and probably tightens the forestay which in turn will give you a flatter genoa.
    Last suggestion : can you move the genoa sheet cars position? Bring aft to depower the top of the genoa and reduce heeling.

Quote Originally Posted by lonederanger View Post
    rolling in a genoa to tack is a pitta.
    Hence my suggestion in #5 to put a removable stay just forward of the forestay.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I think much depends on the choice of the OP. As suggested if it is not too much trouble to change the jib on the furler a smaller flatter jib might best be fitted before departure if wind is expected. I think performance and comfort up wind is the critical factor. So a smaller jib will work much better with less or no rolls and correct sheeting position. I presume OP has optimised the sheeting position. ie forward for more rolls. Even so IMHO it is difficult to get a jib well reefed to perform up wind.
    If he considers it too much trouble to change jibs or wants to be able to change with conditions while out on the water then the removable inner forestay with smaller jib might be the answer. Still needs a new (or s/h smaller) jib.
    So sailing is all about experimentation. good luck. ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Hence my suggestion in #5 to put a removable stay just forward of the forestay.
    I can't picture what happens then, when you tack? The sail on the additional stay must go over and rest on the original forestay, which may not matter?

Also, what's a Solent stay?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast