Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Worth rigging an inner forestay

it's a fractional rigged boat - it looks like 3/4 so the genny is going to be small in comparison to the main I guess? in which case I'd have thought that you won't benefit from another fore-stay

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mogmog2 View Post
    I can't picture what happens then, when you tack? The sail on the additional stay must go over and rest on the original forestay, which may not matter?
    You have the same problem with tacking whether a removable stay is forward or aft of the main forestay.
    Rigging a removable stay aft in prep for higher wind - you have difficulty tacking the genoa.
    Rigging a blade jib forward will also give you difficulty tacking it.
    Remember, this sail is rigged on a long passage where a tack might be put in after many hours, not every half hour.
    PS - you could feasibly tack a blade forward of the furled Genoa round the Genoa but only for short tacks.
    Also, what's a Solent stay?
    Thanks
    See https://theriggingco.com/2017/04/10/...-its-own-stay/
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 20-07-19 at 08:21. Reason: PS
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

IMHO a waste of money. (The inner stay is a PITA when tacking the real headsail.)

Just ensure that the boat will beat on main alone (think mast angle) unless you plan on heading up the Norfolk broads.

(All that notwithstanding I have just bought a cutter with a so-called self-tacking staysail. At present the crew has to run up to the foredeck and kick it in the tackle to encourage it to do so.)

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    IMHO a waste of money. (The inner stay is a PITA when tacking the real headsail.)
    Agreed that it's a bugger to tack, but I wouldn't be without it for a long downwind run on twin headsails.

PICT0597-940x705.jpg
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

For twinning I have always previously just set my second headsail without a stay, but maybe a twin-grooved foil on the roller would be worthwhile?

I converted my 34 footer into a cutter last year for long distance cruising. I've found that I use the staysail rarely though. I've learned that reefing the mainsail early and deeply is the most important thing and I imagine even more effective on a fractional rig.

On a smaller boat a permanently set inner forestay will be a pain the backside for tacking your genoa. Setting it up while the foredeck is bucking and rolling will not be fun and could be dangerous. I think the advice about a Genoa better designed for deep furling (higher clew, thicker foam luff) might suit your needs better if you want to spend money on the problem.

By the way, the only time I have absolutely had to use the staysail rather than a deeply reefed genoa is beating out into the Western Approaches against a force 7 wind. It behaved perfectly but I turned tail after a few hours of misery and scurried into Falmouth. I don't think thats the sort of weather the OP is thinking of, though.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    We have a solent rig. This has two furlers set about 2ft apart. The outer furler has a 135% genoa. The inner furler has a working jib. In winds up to about 15/20 kts upwind, the genoa is the chosen sail. Above about 20kts the working jib is king. You don't need to go on the foredeck as weather and seas deteriorate. Both sails have foam luffs but in my experience heading up wind in stronger conditions you cant beat the smaller sail. Its triple stitched, heavy cloth and designed for the job. A foam luff in an overlapping genoa just doesnt compare. The smaller sail points higher, gives less heal and tacks easily. We have flown the working jib in winds up to 40kts with no problems.
    Yes but I suspect your boat is a bit bigger than the OPís Bolero and do different types of sailing.
    There are different solutions worth considering for big heavy boats sailing trans ocean and small boats doing short coastal sailing. For the OP a second forestay is likely to be a pain

Guys thanks so much for all the useful discussion. Seems so obvious - but for me, making a choice between a jib and genoa before I set-off makes perfect sense. After rummaging through the sail wardrobe ends up there is a smaller jib which will fit the roller furling, so now I have a choice!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by wanzap1 View Post
    Guys thanks so much for all the useful discussion. Seems so obvious - but for me, making a choice between a jib and genoa before I set-off makes perfect sense. After rummaging through the sail wardrobe ends up there is a smaller jib which will fit the roller furling, so now I have a choice!
    Change sails before you leave is the way to go. I well remember changing our heavy genoa for a No.3 in the Thames estuary. Our genoa is a handful even on the hard, so at sea it was very difficult indeed.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    K

Yes but I suspect your boat is a bit bigger than the OP’s Bolero and do different types of sailing.
    There are different solutions worth considering for big heavy boats sailing trans ocean and small boats doing short coastal sailing. For the OP a second forestay is likely to be a pain
    I don't disagree. I think the OP will set a smaller sail if he knows the conditions will favour it. I was sharing my experience of two heads sails, both with foam luffs. The normal large genoa most cruises have and a far smaller working jib. The smaller jib is vastly superior when set compared to a heavily furled genoa in stronger conditions. I think the OP has made the correct decision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast