Default Crinan Canal pilot

We have used the magnificent Hugh Kirk for years, but he has retired (well, he is 80). Any recommendations?

Default Re: Crinan Canal pilot

Maybe Quandary of this forum still does it. I would PM him.

He does,when he is not away sailing, (I was Hughs partner, the one with the brown and white dog)
    Pilots are in short supply this year though there are a few beginners trying it on a casual basis, make sure to agree the price at the start.
    The going rate this year is £75 which is an increase on what we charged but takes account of the state of the locks and the much slower progress which results. I use the money to support a local charity called Marys Meals which provides meals at school for hungry kids in Africa and Asia, so far I have managed to give them over £9k which is better than me spending it on drink.
    Name is Joe, tel. 01546 603799 if I don't get back to you within 24 hours I have gone sailing again, If I can not take you I will recommend someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    ..... I use the money to support a local charity called Marys Meals which provides meals at school for hungry kids in Africa and Asia, so far I have managed to give them over £9k .....
    Wow! That's impressive and very noble (seriously, I am not being sarcastic).
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

He does,when he is not away sailing, (I was Hughs partner, the one with the brown and white dog)
    Pilots are in short supply this year though there are a few beginners trying it on a casual basis, make sure to agree the price at the start.
    The going rate this year is £75 which is an increase on what we charged but takes account of the state of the locks and the much slower progress which results. I use the money to support a local charity called Marys Meals which provides meals at school for hungry kids in Africa and Asia, so far I have managed to give them over £9k which is better than me spending it on drink.
    Name is Joe, tel. 01546 603799 if I don't get back to you within 24 hours I have gone sailing again, If I can not take you I will recommend someone else.
    Hi Joe, phoned Hugh this morning, but had an idea he would be retired. Plans still to be finalised but if we decide on the canal I’ll be in touch.

Toby, the dog is no longer with us but he enjoyed his life on the Canal and all the yachties he met when working. With so many trees around he had no problem finding them sticks to play with, when he brought one the crew were expected to throw it to the bank opposite the one he was standing on, not everyone knew this so he introduced an intelligence test. He placed the stick on the edge of the lock wall in front of his new friend, looked them in the eye and then nudged it into the water, if they went to look for a boat hook they had failed.

Toby, the dog is no longer with us but he enjoyed his life on the Canal and all the yachties he met when working. With so many trees around he had no problem finding them sticks to play with, when he brought one the crew were expected to throw it to the bank opposite the one he was standing on, not everyone knew this so he introduced an intelligence test. He placed the stick on the edge of the lock wall in front of his new friend, looked them in the eye and then nudged it into the water, if they went to look for a boat hook they had failed.
    Haha. Some right characters in your bit of Argyll.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Wow! That's impressive and very noble (seriously, I am not being sarcastic).
    Absolutely. I had no idea I was donating to such a good cause. Readers may recall that Mary's Meals came to prominence when a girl at Lochgilphead primary started blogging about her school dinners and the local council went all North Korea on her. (https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...er-council-ban). She was raising money for Mary's Meals too.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

You can find a list of pilots on the canal website which you will be using to book your passage. You can also get a paper list with a few extra names from the sealock staff.
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodach na mara View Post
    You can find a list of pilots on the canal website which you will be using to book your passage. You can also get a paper list with a few extra names from the sealock staff.
    Not sure if it matters but you are aware that to get on that list all you need do is put your name forward, you do not need to ever have seen the canal or a boat, let alone tie a bowline, there are quite marked variations in competence this year.
    Compared to some of the males, the young girl, Aifric, is one of the most experienced, she has been at it for at least three seasons and so far has never held us back.