Default Mitchell/Mermaid questions

So, as mentioned in another post, I've been looking around, but not too seriously, at various diesel powered boats. Something simple, with a cabin and plenty of deck space for fishing. A 1979 Mitchell 31 powered by a 180hp Ford Mermaid engine caught my eye. Competitively priced, with room for manoeuvre. If, and it's a big if, I was to take a look at it, what should I be especially looking out for? I can't find a lot online about these boats, apart from the fact that they seem to have a good reputation, and I've found almost just as little about the engine.Is the engine raw cooled or closed cooled for example?

Any information or pointers would be much appreciated. This will probably come to nothing, but just in case...……………………

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Mitchell/Mermaid questions

Good boats good engines
    Is She a mark 2
    Is the mermaid turbo or normally aspirated?
    Bit more info like that and I and others will be able to advise further
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

That Mermaid 180 will be a 2700 series Dorset block, turbo, with a charge cooler, it will have heat exchanger, ie freshwater cooled. Bit smelly but unburstable and spares cheap. If it takes loads of cranking to get it to run then its worn out. The marine bits might be suffering corrosion by now.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    That Mermaid 180 will be a 2700 series Dorset block, turbo, with a charge cooler, it will have heat exchanger, ie freshwater cooled. Bit smelly but unburstable and spares cheap. If it takes loads of cranking to get it to run then its worn out. The marine bits might be suffering corrosion by now.
    I was gonna say that but the phone went!

Seriously though
    I had 2700 Dorset
    Age thing
    Couldn’t remember!

Great boat, great engine, but maybe slightly underpowered for the boat. I suppose it depends on how fast you want to go. My guess is a max of about 14kts.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Great boat, great engine, but maybe slightly underpowered for the boat. I suppose it depends on how fast you want to go. My guess is a max of about 14kts.
    Yes LJ
    225 Turbo would shove Her along better
    The Hull loves cruising at 12/16 kts
    Delivered one to Ireland early last year with a 225 in
    Went lovely

Thanks for the responses. For the record she is a MK 1 turbocharged. Since posting, I spoke with the owner who told me it's current condition, as opposed to the pictures which aren't quite "current".
    He also said the diesel pump is rusted up and if he starts the engine, it can't be turned off without cracking the fuel line open to allow air into the engine, or words to that effect. I did say that it was a long shot and either way, I have my hands full getting my own boat sorted out, with a full on work load leaving me no free time for the moment! Thanks for the input.

I have a Mk 1 said to be built in 1989. With a 90hp Perkins 6.354. Non turbo - which I like. Cruises at 7.5kts @ 1500. Calm and peaceful and predictable. Very controllable, turns well at low speed, doesn't blown off much at low speed picking up the mooring, reverses well out of the fuel berth 'avenue' responding to port or starboard. In fairness I haven't tried marina manoeuvring in high wind but enormously easier than my long keel wooden yacht. The fabric of the boat is very substantial, essentially a workboat hull.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

We had the shorter wheelhouse version of the Mitchell MK1. 120hp Ford non turbo when we bought it, ended up with a 255c Ford Sabre. Solid boats, handle well in most weather. Shifted well with the 255 engine, even with a full crew on board. Mate of mine is selling his MK2, must resist the temptation

I have a MkIII

Mine has the Perkins Sabre MT225. Have seen 17.7knots WOT just launched, one up, empty water tank & not much gear on board.

Or loaded up with heap of cruising crap & full tanks we cruise 2000rpm just shy of 11 knots or if in a hurry 2100rpm 12 & a bit knots...

180hp will be 9/10 knot cruise although will have at least a ton weight saving over our MkIII….maybe 11knots cruise...?

Fine boat though.. a lot have had heavy use, especially Mk1 & 2's although they will take it.