Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rigging replacement

There appears to be an insurance industry expectation that wire standing rigging should be replaced at/around the 10-year point.

Why?

Top riggers offer no rational explanation. There seems to be no collected data which can be analysed to support this. So why '10 years'...? Why not 9, or 12, or.....?

Default Re: Rigging replacement

Riggers are not going to argue, in fact they will be very supportive

The insurance company demand, or exclude the mast and rigging. It is no cost to the insurance company - and they 'cover' themselves and seem to agree among themselves so they have a consistent approach.

We have no choice - and we are disparate lot with no powerful central voice.

It seems a glorious waste of stainless. Something for the Green faction to get their teeth into?

I know of rigging that has failed at 4 years and I am sure there is rigging still standing, that is used, and 30 years old.

You raise a good question - though whether it gains any traction.......???

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    There appears to be an insurance industry expectation that wire standing rigging should be replaced at/around the 10-year point
    Thing yourself lucky you don't fly aircraft where bits that are perfectly serviceable need to be replaced after X hours, Y time or Z landings.

I have no issues with replacement every 10 years and consider it preventative maintenance.

What is interesting is that a yacht that is lived on and sailed frequently, a yacht that is raced hard a yacht that is used only in the summer for 'family' sailing in sheltered water, not forgetting the impact of any climatic variation on rigging - life is treated exactly the same. And then we have different types of rigging......

We don't have any 'preventative maintenance' regime for keel bolts, nor fittings on the mast (spreaders) and bilge pumps are simply not mentioned......and don't mention LJs, harnesses nor jackstays - yet rigging comes in for scrutiny.

I have no issue with preventative maintenance but am suspicious as we have a one size fits all - which to me seems unlikely and other critical items merit no mention

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 19-07-19 at 02:52.

There appears to be an insurance industry expectation that wire standing rigging should be replaced at/around the 10-year point.
    Is there? Certainly common belief on forums but they're often far from the real world, how many insurance companies actually demand it? Not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Is there? Certainly common belief on forums but they're often far from the real world, how many insurance companies actually demand it? Not mine.
    Pantaenius

Jonathan

A major question not answered is how often do boat owners check rigging?

If I were a betting man I'd say no often. My 10 year replacement is due in 2021 the following year I plan to sail more than I have in the last three years.

Lots of non rigging can be checked replaced and serviced at regular intervals but they are less catastrophic or expensive as a rig failure and mast collapse.

Having just read Blake's Odyssey the account of Peter Blake's round the world race on Ceramco New Zealand he gives a dramatic account of his dismasting. Having had a dingy rigging failure and a dismasting I never want that to happen on a yacht even five miles offshore let alone 1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Interesting comment - and our previous insurer neither mentioned rigging nor needed a survey.

It is odd, and GHA is correct - some insurers simply do not mention rigging - others are very fussy.

Our first mast was lost when a tang broke, the yacht was 3 years old. Our second rigging failure (and mast loss) was a year later when the new shroud failed, it was one year old, at one of the spreaders.

Jonathan

Why?

Top riggers offer no rational explanation. There seems to be no collected data which can be analysed to support this. So why '10 years'...? Why not 9, or 12, or.....?
    When I raised this question with spar manufacturer Seldén, the advice was 'replace after approx. 20 000 miles sailed'.
    That advice presumes that the rig has been correctly and sufficiently tensioned over the years. Not always the case, as many boat owners tend to under-tighten their rigs.
    Such treatment reduces the rig's life span, contrary to what some might believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Pantaenius Jonathan
    Not the UK broker who we insure with. They did want a recent survey before insuring for the first time which is understandable.
    Moody 31

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast