Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Rigging replacement

Spoke to Y-Yacht Insurance about this the other day as mine is approaching the 10-year age period.

Was told that my insurers don't stipulate any replacement period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrazor View Post
    Spoke to Y-Yacht Insurance about this the other day as mine is approaching the 10-year age period.

Was told that my insurers don't stipulate any replacement period.
    Ask them if they would pay out for the loss of a mast with 20 year old rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Had a long chat with Barrie a while ago about this and also about seacocks/skin fittings. His view was that you have a responsibility to keep your boat well maintained and in good order. If you have your rigging checked periodically by a professional rigger and signed-off as good, and you check your seacocks every year with a hammer when the boat is out of the water, then in his view, you have taken sensible measures and he would support a claim from you.

If however, you have 20 year old rigging that has never been checked, then tough.

Unlike a lot of insurers, you get a lot of common sense from Y.

I know that rigging can fatigue, even just from sitting on a mooring vibrating in the wind, but I have a sneaking feeling that it's a bit like electronic components. A relatively large number fail in the first year, then the rate dips and stays low for years before rising again. You can't do much about the initial failures, but defining a reasonable service life does give you a chance of avoiding the later ones.

Having said that, my rigger was far more concerned about replacing my forestay that had unwound a bit due to problems with my roller reefing than he was with replacing my lower shrouds that are at least 15 years old.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Is there? Certainly common belief on forums but they're often far from the real world, how many insurance companies actually demand it? Not mine.
    Nor mine either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Had a long chat with Barrie a while ago about this and also about seacocks/skin fittings. His view was that you have a responsibility to keep your boat well maintained and in good order. If you have your rigging checked periodically by a professional rigger and signed-off as good, and you check your seacocks every year with a hammer when the boat is out of the water, then in his view, you have taken sensible measures and he would support a claim from you.

If however, you have 20 year old rigging that has never been checked, then tough.

Unlike a lot of insurers, you get a lot of common sense from Y.
    Having said what I have said in the previous. I had the mast down five years ago, inspected all, replaced the fore stay and caps, dismantled the furler and rebuilt it. Documented it by writing it up for PBO and so have invoices for the bits and a copy of the article. I also was a maintenance super/v so have no probs with arguing that I am a fit and proper person to perform checks on mechanical things. I am content that my checks and actions would more than cover me

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The comment from Y-Yacht Insurance was mainly that if it was inspected regularly, properly maintained etc, then there wasn't any reason why any claim would be refused. But yes, the cynic in me would suggest the insurers would baulk at a claim for rigging that old. Still, if the policy doesn't have any age demands on it, technically any claim should be paid.

It might be instructive to find out how many miles the rigging on the Najad 380 sailed by Jeanne Socrates has done. 3 or is it 4 circumnavigations with trips down into the southern ocean.

As she is still using her original 10 year old mainsail I suspect the rigging is also original.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I know that rigging can fatigue, even just from sitting on a mooring vibrating in the wind, but I have a sneaking feeling that it's a bit like electronic components. A relatively large number fail in the first year, then the rate dips and stays low for years before rising again. You can't do much about the initial failures, but defining a reasonable service life does give you a chance of avoiding the later ones.

Having said that, my rigger was far more concerned about replacing my forestay that had unwound a bit due to problems with my roller reefing than he was with replacing my lower shrouds that are at least 15 years old.
    I recently met a chap whose mast fell down suddenly..while he was up it! The cause was a partly untwisted forestay, due to a binding genoa luff extrusion , the forestay was otherwise perfect but this defect was undetectable with the genoa foil hiding it. Untwisting weakens wire..a lot!
    Lucky to just get cuts and bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrazor View Post
    The comment from Y-Yacht Insurance was mainly that if it was inspected regularly, properly maintained etc, then there wasn't any reason why any claim would be refused. But yes, the cynic in me would suggest the insurers would baulk at a claim for rigging that old. Still, if the policy doesn't have any age demands on it, technically any claim should be paid.
    Same with me, I asked Y the question, they said just get it checked at reasonable intervals, and go by condition, not age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast