Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: bukh trouble

Default bukh trouble

I have a BUkh DV10ME that starts ok with no throttle, ticks over, runs OK at power for hours. When I slow down to moor it fails to tick over and will not restart for some time,maybe 30 mins or so
    if I fail to moor first time I am in trouble!

fuel is clean, no water in the bowl. gravity fed (with lift pump as well)
    tank has plenty left.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: bukh trouble

That’s odd. If it was cold then the compression would be a question mark but if it’s warm....
    Is the airflow ok? Is the HP pump OK? Is the injector OK? Any leaks in the fuel feed when its warm?
    I appreciate that all these things can only be checked by refurbishing stuff but check all the union nuts from the HP to the injector and the injector itself, if a nut has worked loose that would perhaps do it. Is the air filter OK?

Initial thought is that the idle speed set may be too low?

The "fails to tick over" part is not clear to me. Doesn't the starter kick in at all, or engages, but isn't able to turn the engine?

Have you checked the fuel filters?

When I had my dose of the bug I had the same symptoms but could restart straight away. Opened the primary filter and found a jelly substance covering about three quarters of the filter. My conclusion was a normal speeds the engine could draw enough fuel at low speed it could not.

Picking up the mooring or coming along side was a two person job one on the throttle the other on the tiller.

+1 change the filter(s) would be a good first step

Thankyou guys, Another new filter then, that can do no harm.

Any idea why this only happens after a long run/hot but not when cold?

Probably "hot" and "cold" are not the keywords. They would be a "long rest" and "short rest". During a longish power run the dirt particles in the filter get "compacted" causing the filter having a high resistance. The low pump pressure after reducing the revs will cause fuel starvation and the engine dies. During the rest period the particles get gradually "uncompacted" and at some point the engine will start again - ready to repeat the cycle.

I had a similar problem yearsago on bukh 10, diagnosed as a sticky fuel rack not freeing after a 'stop' when hot. It would only restart with a very fast turnover. I even bump started it a few times with sail assist, even spinaker combined with starter. prevention was best taking time to go back to tickover before stopping, never stop with gear engaged.(which I did to lock the shaft when sailing)
    Last edited by Robin; 20-07-19 at 10:54.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Check valve rocker clearances?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast