Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: bukh trouble

Default Re: bukh trouble

Quote Originally Posted by chewi View Post
    I keep replacing the filters, but it doesn't fix the problem,
    nobody else has to repplace filters on every outing. I have yet to id the source of the water, but he CAV prefilter and water trap doesn't seem to protect me much.
    I dont know anything about your particular engine, but if you are having to do that everytime you go out, my priority would be sorting out your fuel. No diesel engine likes carp fuel.
    Finding where the water is getting in ( the filler most likely ) then cleaning the crud out of your tank after draining off the fuel and water. If it is as contaminated as it sounds you will have to deal with it rather than leaving it to your filter, some of these lumps of crud in the tank can partially block fuel lines and tank shut off valves as I found out during a clean out. Sort out the fuel, then look at the engine

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    I dont know anything about your particular engine, but if you are having to do that everytime you go out, my priority would be sorting out your fuel. No diesel engine likes carp fuel.
    Finding where the water is getting in ( the filler most likely ) then cleaning the crud out of your tank after draining off the fuel and water. If it is as contaminated as it sounds you will have to deal with it rather than leaving it to your filter, some of these lumps of crud in the tank can partially block fuel lines and tank shut off valves as I found out during a clean out. Sort out the fuel, then look at the engine
    Yes, I agree.

In his first post the OP wrote "..starts ok with no throttle, ticks over, runs OK at power for hours.."

That doesn't sound like a sick engine.. Overhaul the external fuel system before doing anything else; even if only to eliminate it as a source of the problem.

He could even try rigging up a small temporary fuel tank using a suitable container and see if the problem disappears.

Thank you all, the advice keeps coming, I will try to follow all of it.

The stop valve appears to be OK, not sticking.
    Once the engine stopped again after a couple of hours running I restarted it and it was running very slowly, liuke it does before it eventually stops. I pumped the lift pump manually while the engine was running slow and it accelerated.
    Since the governor is supposed to regulate the speed, and the pump should deliver more fuel than is needed, It threw suspicion on the lift pump, so I have removed that for a service.
    The water in fuel issue seems to be diminishing now, but we haven't had rain for a few days. I think that reinforces the filler cap diagnosis. Thanks all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234