Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Line size for hoisting octahedral type radar reflectors

I've been reading old threads, but I don't seem to be able to find any confirmations of the line/halyard size people use for hoisting octahedral type radar reflectors. Mine will be going up to the spreaders. Is the standard 3mm burgee line (8 plait?) sufficient or do people upgrade, and if so, what to? Many thanks!

Default Re: Line size for hoisting octahedral type radar reflectors

That's what we use.
    That line is quite strong, we pull it fairly taut to stop it rattling against anything.
    Alternatively, we've used the topping lift to put it over one quarter at about half mast height, this kept it away from any sails or rigging.

Likewise.

I have an old Plastimo octahedral reflector and I disassembled it to drill holes so it would hang in the "Double catch rain" position, rather than point up as it appears to be designed to do. I then had to drill approx 20mm holes in the centre of each piece so the "down" line could pass through the middle, rather than outside. Cleaning the holes with file and sandpaper, then a bit of gaffer tape over the edges helps to reduce chafe.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Does the topping lift hoist the reflector at an angle ? I ask bcs there have been recent comments about the importance of deploying a reflector in vertical mode.

Will a taut line from the cross trees also tilt the reflector when the boat is heeled ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Octo's are not that sensitive to a bit of tilt.

If anyone wants to get picky, they can come back when they've solved Maxwell's Equations for the effects of putting it too near the mast or rigging. At least near the back of the boat it's not much shadowed by the mast.
    I once had an interesting debate with a radar designer about whether it was desireable for the octo to be static or spinning/jiggling about on the halyard as they do. Inconclusive!

Have a decent sized octo and get the damned thing in the air when it's foggy.
    If you do that, you chances of being one of the very few boats that were run down by vessels with radar are very small.

How many UK yachts have been hit in fog in the past few years?
    And how many of those were moored at the time?

The main consideration for choosing the size is not strength but resistance to abrasion, so a generous light line would be preferable. Old style reflectors work best is the rain-catch position but it can require some creative knotting to achieve this. We found that the blipper reflector was heavy enough to make the cross tree droop on one old boat of ours, so I shackled it to the cross tree to halve the force.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I plan to go with polyester for good abrasion resistance. I'm also buying Kingbraid halyards and sheets, and the bill is, as ever, spiralling...!

I found the main challenge when hanging a radar reflector from the spreaders was stopping it thrashing around laterally.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I found the main challenge when hanging a radar reflector from the spreaders was stopping it thrashing around laterally.
    The trick for octahedrals is to run the line coming back down from the block through the middle of the reflector and keep the line taut.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    The trick for octahedrals is to run the line coming back down from the block through the middle of the reflector and keep the line taut.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast