Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Volvo Md7b control panel wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    It's easier if you download a pdf and enlarge it many times
    I totally agree but not practical to do whilst grovelling down in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I hope you sort this out too

Previous owner was an electrical engineer, that's some of his handiwork. Sitting at the chart table now still fooling around with this. No power at the back of the panel now. Might need a fresh pair of eyes to sort this! Glorious winter day and I would rather be sailing.

One regular fault on Volvo installations occurs at the plastic encapsulated fuse. This fuse is usually mounted near the panel and has four elements of which not all may be used. The terminals are often not compatible with the crimps resulting in corrosion and lack of conductivity. I find the easiest way to fault find is with a test light using a 20 watt bulb as then it is easy to find at which point the current stops flowing. Copper filled grease on the spades helps . (Wee tubes in Halfords)

The switches are usually for owner designated equipment and both switches could share a supply either from the key switch run position or utilising one of the fuse elements. If they had been utilised by previous owners then there will be something not working such as compass light or auto pilot .
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Thanks Bilgediver. I went home and then realized I could have checked the inline fuses, they are just under the bunk I sit on. I'm sure the two switches have never been used. Now that I have a decent diagram I'm confident I have the terminals sorted and once I have power back at the starter switch it will run.

Selected the next fuse element this morning and with the wires correctly on the correct pins thanks to VicS's excellent diagram the system works fine. Tossed the green wire into the chart table! Thanks for all the assistance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12