Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sh## tank idea. (Or Tank idea; sh##?)

I think I need to fit a holding tank to my loo. I want to keep it as simple as possible. My loo's an old lavac with henderson, horse's arse type pump. In port I'd intend to use a cup of fresh water to flush to reduce quantity. My idea is to fit a tee off the loo discharge, low down but above the water line, going to one of these:
    https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanita...tankv55-507321
    which is a bag tank which looks to lay flat when empty.
    I'd intend to blank the fill and breather inlet / outlets because I can't see that I need them.
    When needing the tank I'd just close the sea cock and open a cock on the tank.
    When wishing to empty the tank I'd elevate it and open the sea cock, possibly using bagpipe techniques to encourage emptying. (I'm intending to fit it under the port fo'c'sle berth so when in use there's not much head to the waterline hence the possible need to elevate it for emptying).
    I'd only use it for liquids and ban paper (I'm mostly singlehanded in any case).
    If it got blocked, or needed to be emptied in port I could close the cock, disconnect it and hang it over the side (or a loo) and poke it with a coat hanger as required. (I could possibly fit another cock at the tank end to reduce spillage whilst disconnecting but it's not a procedure I'd expect to need regularly).
    It sounds too simple to be possible but I can't think of what I'm missing, particularly the reason for the breather, there's no air in it when empty so why does it need to breathe. (Ok, if 100% full and the temperature rises it may be a problem but I can keep an eye on it and stop at 80% full).
    Am I missing something?

Default Re: Sh## tank idea. (Or Tank idea; sh##?)

'poke it with a coat hanger as required'
    please video this for our entertainment

You win the £5 prize for getting the words Holding tank, Bagpipes and Coathanger into the same post.

Top tip do the job properly or not at all.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

The fresh water tank in my motorsailer has leaked several times for various reasons. Water in the bilge is not too much of a problem....
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

System in the LM28 I have just purchased has a very simple system but have not actually used it yet.

The route for the water and waste is as follows.
    The inlet from the sea is connected to the toilet via a vented loop
    There is a direct connection between the Jabsco toilet and the holding tank.
    The outlet of the holding tank is connected to a seacock via a vented loop.
    There is a Jabsco self priming diaphram pump in the line to the seacock which is operated with a switch as required.
    There is ( I think) a 10 mm vent line to the side of the hull but still to trace as may be a fuel vent.

Sadly as this was an executor sale, I never met the previous owner but I have found in the lockers two "Y" valves and I wonder if the plan was to have a diverter set up using either direct discharge or indirect discharge.

I plan to fit a new Loo before I launch the boat so may chane the set up..

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash60 View Post
    I'd intend to blank the fill and breather inlet / outlets because I can't see that I need them.
    Am I missing something?
    When you are filling / emptying the tank, how will you vent the air that is displaced?
    Also a half full tank of effluent if left in the tank will gas and build up a head of pressure, that could be interesting!!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Since the chief benefit of a holding tank is for those occasions when you need to dispose of solids when going ashore is inconvenient or impossible, I don't see any benefit in a half-baked solution. We have used our s/s tank for 20 years without problems, despite a using paper as required.

Nobody is going to object much if you pee into a Dutch canal, but solids are another matter.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash60 View Post
    Am I missing something?
    I don't think your proposal is the best for your needs. You'd be much safer installing a rigid plastic tank. Holding tanks do need a decent-size air vent pipe, as this helps to minimise smells.

You might find a Portapotti does all you need - and is more simple. Just use the correct dose of 'blue' and fill the flush tank with fresh water and the tank rinse. I won't claim they are smell free, but I bought one to replace a Lavac and that wasn't crystal fresh either. No sea cocks needed!

The intended 'tank' is a flexible one which starts empty of air, like a whoopee cushion, - the fermentation business I'd not thought of, also I'm now thinking that the henderson pump will probably also pump air to a certain extent so that would necessitate the vent.
    Leaking tank too wouldn't be pleasant either.....
    Now suspect I'll go with a solid tank and vent, I'm a bit reluctant to cut holes in the boat for the vent but can maybe force myself. Thanks for the replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast