Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newlyn

Default Re: Newlyn

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    You need to call up the Harbourmaster on VHF as you approach. I was told off for not doing that and so the next time I did call him up at some unearthly hour and he responded and was helpful.
    I did that, whilst I dropped the sails a wazzock yottie nipped in before us. HM thought it was us and berthed him on the end. We entered and called again, HM was embarassed, they were now full. He then askdc what time we were leaving. 4.00 am said we, ok, you can have a fishing boat berth but you had better be gone at 4. As we passed the big sign saying no yots past this point, wazzock shouted, I say, its people like you that give us a bad name! No yots past there! I told him to go and xxxk himself, that HM had told us where to go! We berthed and then he started to come down the pontoon, saw me and chickened out, we had a good kip and left at 4!

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Dogs, there will always be some owner lets the dog crap, then it gets walked into the market or onto boats, or on the underside of a box which goes on top of another. Easier is a complete ban.
    More marinas should consider the same policy. In fact, they should ban them from my town. Monday morning the place is thick with dog shit as owners bring them for a Sunday walk at the seaside.

Wander down to the lighthouse on the pier.
    There is an OS datum mark carved somewhere on the wall.
    It look ssomething like this

bnk40.jpg

That is the reference point for the OSGB mapping of the entire UK. If like me you have been involved with land surveying, it is a sort of totem.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Wander down to the lighthouse on the pier.
    There is an OS datum mark carved somewhere on the wall.
    It look ssomething like this

bnk40.jpg

That is the reference point for the OSGB mapping of the entire UK. If like me you have been involved with land surveying, it is a sort of totem.
    The tide well which provided data over several years after WW1 is beneath your feet, basis for the OS banchmark.

https://www.ntslf.org/tgi/newlyn-tidal-observatory

'Newlyn Datum'....

There's an obelisk in the SW Approaches which marks the Origin ( 0/0 ) of the National Grid. Some confuse it with Wolf Rock not far away.

The datum mark shown in the OP's pic is a Bench Mark. There are lots of these around.... I've even got one on the corner of my abode:

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    You need to call up the Harbourmaster on VHF as you approach.
    Yes, and the duty guys in the tower couldn't have been more helpful when we were there. We needed some work done quickly - Colin and Cameron from Mounts Bay Engineering were superb.

Loved the place!
    Ω

Another big 'Yus!' for those guys.

Sadly closed down now. Penwith Marine services in Penzance are excellent for parts, (oils, spares, paints, engineers sundries), and should be able to provide engineering help, up to big(gish) ship stuff. Go in PZ and tie up next to them if stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Sadly closed down now.
    Sorry to learn that. Thanks for the Penwith Marine headsup for those down there.
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    this is a nicely timed post - I am aiming to get to Newlyn on Sunday pm and was wondering what I'd find, I'm sure I can't book a berth as it's not a marina, but any thoughts as to my likelyhood of finding a slot for a night or two? Showers would be a treat - am guessing I'll need to find the harbour master for a code / key? thanks for any tips (like the Red Lion pub one). P
    25' sailing boat.
    I got a nice shower in the Sailors Charity place, very welcoming.
    Last edited by scotty123; 21-07-19 at 13:58.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast