Default Testing ball valve seacocks

I have mostly Blakes seacocks which are easy to check. I also have 2 ball valves, one fitted last year to the engine cooling water inlet by someone who I know would only use correct material, and another fitted 5 years ago by someone who may not have been as scrupulous - how do i inspect a ball valve?

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Testing ball valve seacocks

Brass valves are plated and appear silver. DZR are unplated and marked as such or with the CR logo. Bronze ones will not be plated. They can all be disassembled if you wish but there is not a lot that can be done. Worth looking in bronze ones as the ball may be brass, in which case it can become pitted. There is a lot on this subject on my website.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Changwe it if it is suspect. It isn't that hard a job for the DIYer and the peace of mind is worth the expense. Checkout vyvs website.

Thanks

All the valves, all ball, I open and close a few times as part of my monthly routine. They get stiff and seize with lack of use

The seacock on my loo outlet was changed by me about 6-7 years ago. A good ISIS DN40. The handle felt firm, a confident open/close motion. I had my suspicions that the outlet was pasrtly blocked and on Friday, with the boat on the hard, I took the hose off. Hose in great shape after 9 years. Seacock jammed about a quarter open. Handles feels good but nothing moves. So you can wiggle the handle all you like and sleep well. Physical inspection is everything, perhaps with a torch from outside when not in the water.
    Not all who wander are lost

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    The seacock on my loo outlet was changed by me about 6-7 years ago. A good ISIS DN40. The handle felt firm, a confident open/close motion. I had my suspicions that the outlet was pasrtly blocked and on Friday, with the boat on the hard, I took the hose off. Hose in great shape after 9 years. Seacock jammed about a quarter open. Handles feels good but nothing moves. So you can wiggle the handle all you like and sleep well. Physical inspection is everything, perhaps with a torch from outside when not in the water.
    Same happened to me with my fridge seawater supply. The stem had dezincified and broken handle turned and felt OK. Fortunately enough water passing for it to work.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I had the same - one of my 1.25" dia cockpit drains had much slower flow than the other so I pulled the hose off (when dried out) and found that the slow one's spindle had disintegrated so whatever position the handle was in, the ball remainded partially open. I replaced both with grade 316 stainless (I hadn't heard of crevice corrosion at the time).

I have stainless ones too. Two of them are 15 years old and still in good condition.