Default Old liferafts - worth deploying for curiosity or parts ? ?

I have two old liferafts, Plastimo Cruiser 6 2004, and Arimar Neptune 4 2002 from a previous boat.

Advice from here and a well-reputed servicing centre is that they MAY be OK for refurbishment, but servicing costs inc gas and cylinder and survival stuff will be 60% ish of the costs of a new one with improved design/service life/contents.

The service centre has offered nearly £100 of the price off a new one if I give them one of the old ones "for parts".

Does that seem a reasonable sum and the sensible way to go ? I am never very good at bargaining and extracting discounts

TIA
    Last edited by sarabande; 19-07-19 at 15:08.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: Old liferafts - worth deploying for curiosity or parts ? ?

Just had a quick look at completed listings on ebay.
    Some people do seem to buy quite old rafts but yours are well beyond service schedule.
    I think they are giving your £100 to take a dodgy old raft out of the ecosystem.
    I'd take it, rather than face dealing with ebay loons who will buy a 15 year old liferaft.
    But compare their price with a web chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post

The service centre has offered nearly £100 of the price off a new one if I give them one of the old ones "for parts".
    If the new price is competitive, go for it.

I wonder what the service center is going to do with old parts? Repair another life raft?

Usually a no-brainer, had two people ask about their LRs recently. Get them serviced or buy new. In both cases the answer was buy new. Cost of looking at a likely failure verses not much more for a new one, with a longer life?
    Then there are the stories of 'serviced' ones not working well or the stores well outdated or missing..
    The recent question got my response of: Crossing Biscay, you are out of VHF range and you don't have a EPIRB, so it might be more important to let people know you have a problem, than worry about the raft. (It was only a bit out of service, but a few years old) You can always take to the tender and wait, if they know.