Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vhf notifications when crossing Channel

Hi
    Cross Channel trip being planned.
    I'm based in the river Medway and will be heading up to Harwich and then across to Scheveningen.

Should I notify Thames Vts as I'm leaving the Medway?
    Nipping up to Harwich seems a small thing to be bothering them with.

Should I inform Harwich port control as I leave for Scheveningen?
    It seems sensible to let someone know. Friends and family have a copy of passage plan.
    Port control won't know whether I have arrived at my destination will they or will they track me on ais?

I was told by a Dutch chap I should call in on channel 3 if I approached the MAS. Is this correct and what is the procedure for this call?

I did try to call Thames vts but the number I got from the Web seems not to be active.

Thanks once again

S

Default Re: Vhf notifications when crossing Channel

I take it that you don't have an AIS transceiver.
    A call to the CG with a passage information message never hurts, and it acts as a radio check
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Harwich VTS really don’t want to know about small craft, except in exceptional situations such as enquiring if it is safe to cross the shipping lane in poor visibility or you should be unlucky enough to be without power or sail in the shipping lanes. I would imagine that Thames is similar. Don’t know about the other side.

Although I have in the past called the CG before a North Sea crossing, I think that in these days of mobile phones it is as good or better to be in touch with someone ashore, who can then alert people if they don't receive your call by a certain time. Nowadays, our contact (daughter) follows us on AIS anyway.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by stu9000 View Post
    Hi
    Cross Channel trip being planned.
    I'm based in the river Medway and will be heading up to Harwich and then across to Scheveningen.

Should I notify Thames Vts as I'm leaving the Medway?

Should I inform Harwich port control as I leave for Scheveningen?
    It seems sensible to let someone know. Friends and family have a copy of passage plan.
    Port control won't know whether I have arrived at my destination will they or will they track me on ais?

I was told by a Dutch chap I should call in on channel 3 if I approached the MAS. Is this correct and what is the procedure for this call?

I did try to call Thames vts but the number I got from the Web seems not to be active.

Thanks once again

S
    You will be using the RYA SafeTrx scheme, which replaces the old CG66 scheme, presumably ?

Always a good idea to monitor the Port radio or VTS even if not required to contact them so that you are aware of shipping movements

This https://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk.../RUG_Outer.pdf maybe of interest and some relevance but you are probably aware of it or its content anyway

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Although I have in the past called the CG before a North Sea crossing, I think that in these days of mobile phones it is as good or better to be in touch with someone ashore, who can then alert people if they don't receive your call by a certain time. Nowadays, our contact (daughter) follows us on AIS anyway.
    Dover Coastguard still seem interested to take details. I crossed to Vlisengen in company of 3 other boats in May, and one of the others called Dover who took all the details down that they did previously for the 4 boats. They did ask if we were Safetrax or CG66 registered. The boat that called in did say that he was going to activate safetrax.

Quote Originally Posted by stu9000 View Post
    Should I notify Thames Vts as I'm leaving the Medway? NO. Not remotely interested.

Should I inform Harwich port control as I leave for Scheveningen? NO, as above.
    Port control won't know whether I have arrived at my destination will they or will they track me on ais? NO, nor will the Coastguard.

I did try to call Thames vts but the number I got from the Web seems not to be active. As above, they are not interested.

Thanks once again

S
    The advice to give the CG a passage plan, either by VHF or via SafeTrx, is good. However the CG will not come looking for you if you go missing unless others e.g. family report you as missing.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Thanks all.
    I was still a bit unsure of best practice so I gave the Coast Guard a call.
    The advice given was to call Dover c/g on ch16 just before I depart.
    I was told plenty of people do call in a plan for a hop up the East Coast but I personally feel this isn't necessary to provide that level of detail on a route that does not have much shipping.
    I will call it in as I depart for Scheveningen though and will telephone them to confirm I have arrived at my destination.
    I was asked to do this so they don't come looking for me (although presumably, they could look me up on AIS).

Dover c/g is the one to call for the whole area now. Apparently, Harwich was closed.

I won't call in a plan on the hop down the coast from Schev to Blankenberge but will phone it in when Im about to hop over to Ramsgate.

I have shared a detailed passage plan with several family members.
    Thanks for the tip on using an AIS website.
    Myshiptracking seems good and includes a "show track" option.
    MyVesselFinder also seemed good but I wasnt sure whether it updates in real time.

My only grey area now is whether I should be calling it in on Ch3 if I approach the MAS.

What would be the gain to anyone, from informing the CG of a yacht's movements?
    I do not disagree neccessarily, just ignorant about the actual benefits.

We would use safetrx and let VTS know as we navigated the estuary and letting them know we were going out to sea and crossing shipping channels but not sure why the need to then let coastguard know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast