Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vhf notifications when crossing Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    We would use safetrx and let VTS know as we navigated the estuary and letting them know we were going out to sea and crossing shipping channels but not sure why the need to then let coastguard know
    It is a hangover from the days when trying to telephone from faraway places was often unreliable and not always possible. Contact with a CG at each end of the journey was one way of improving safety, even for coastal trips. In the days before electronic aids, when we Neanderthals ruled the waves, arrival could not always be assured, or its position.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    What would be the gain to anyone, from informing the CG of a yacht's movements?
    I do not disagree neccessarily, just ignorant about the actual benefits.
    If you use Safetrx app to log your passage/track then not much benefit of informing CG of your passage plan. If you don't use the app and If you think there is even a slight chance of a person ashore calling the CG with a concern over your late arrival or being out of contact for too long, then tell the CG.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 20-07-19 at 19:52.

https://www.portofrotterdam.com/site...token=0HFy0Fge
    gives the Maas reporting rules.These confirm the use of channel 3 if you are crossing North South at the mouth where there is a very clear small craft crossing 'box' shown on the chart.I recall being held by control when passing in one direction as about 3 fast ships appeared and cleared.English is the primary language for the inshore sector,so not hard to do.
    Last edited by bluerm166; 21-07-19 at 11:11.

As mentioned it acts a radio check. It is the belt to SafeTrx braces and should something go wrong they have an idea of where to start looking.
    I had an instance where I entered a safetrx on the phone on starting and then phone died, radioed in my arrival and told them of the safetrx. Cancelled when phone came back on

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    gives the Maas reporting rules.These confirm the use of channel 3 if you are crossing North South at the mouth where there is a very clear small craft crossing 'box' shown on the chart.I recall being held by control when passing in one direction as about 3 fast ships appeared and cleared.English is the primary language for the inshore sector,so not hard to do.

Thankyou for this

A 'Passage Information Message' to the CG will give them a head start if you later put out a Mayday or the like. It also serves the function of a Radio Check.
    The 'PIM' need only include (callsign if you have a non DSC VHF and maybe MMSI if you have AIS Transceiver ), Depart Time, Destination, ETA and Number of people onboard.
    Nothing more detailed is necessary.
    They assume you arrived ok unless they receive anything to the contrary.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    We would use safetrx and let VTS know as we navigated the estuary and letting them know we were going out to sea and crossing shipping channels but not sure why the need to then let coastguard know
    Because the CG role is Search & Rescue and all London VTS do is control shipping movements! VTS is not interested in you crossing the Estuary unless you get in the way, which of course you won't, will you.
    I did call them once when I reached the Princes Channel, before the days when I had an AIS receiver, in poor visibility and asked them if I was all clear to cross, and they were very obliging.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Don’t know about London VTS but Humber VTS are happy for leisure vessels to call with destination and yacht details, when a couple of years ago we we stuck with thick fog they gave us position updates and other vessel movements until we cleared the fog.

It’s reassuring to know that someone is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    Having read through this carefully I believe I need to inform Rotterdam VTS on ch 1 when I am about to cross the TSS Maas Northwest and TSS Maas North. The guide suggests I should notify them when I have cleared the TSS as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12