Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Too many anchors

I have 5 anchors ..... and that's just for pottering around the islands.

2 x Rocna
    1 x Delta
    1 x Danfort
    1 x Grapnel - folding for dinghy.

You can't be too careful out there.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Shore Lines

We have been hit by bullets arriving from opposite directions and the yacht driven until the anchor 'snatches' - without a snubber. But if you take a line ashore you can hold the yacht steady - the bullets, and sustained bullets, get the yacht moving and keep it moving - but the actual windage/tension initially developed is manageable.

Its like a car on a hill, let the handbrake off and you can hold it - but you cannot stop it once it starts to move. Momentum seems a good word.

It does help if you have shallow draft (or shore can be relatively close).

In cases with those opposing, or almost opposing, bullets - the continuous moving is not conducive to relaxation.

Jonathan
    If I was anchored in that sort of situation, I would use a Bahamian Moor. It's then all accessible from the boat, doesn't need trees, or chains round rocks, and the boat lies head to wind - most important for reducing windage, reducing loading, and for greater comfort.

3 is probably pretty common for cruisers. Maybe a new gen which getwvused nearly all the time, some sort of spare and a fortress.
    I used to have 5 but gave away the cqr and threw out the unused pile of rust fisherman's.
    Sso what's the 4th practical sailor mention?

Our long keeler has three. 7.5Kg Bruce for regular, 12kg Manson Spade for backup or storm vulnerable anchorages and a folding fishermans for use in dinghy or sort of kedge for drudging. Our bilge keeler which I now use less has 7.5kg bruce for regular, 7.5 CQR plough, large flatfolding kedge plus folding fishermans.

Note to self - think about moving folding kedge to other boat if I can work out where to store it.

3 anchors good, four anchors better. If you only daysail out of marina it might be different.
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 20-07-19 at 12:01.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    If I was anchored in that sort of situation, I would use a Bahamian Moor. It's then all accessible from the boat, doesn't need trees, or chains round rocks, and the boat lies head to wind - most important for reducing windage, reducing loading, and for greater comfort.
    A Bahamian moor needs lots of space - in a tight anchorage - unacceptable. If you have plenty of space a sensible option (but then you are less likely to have these opposing bullets).

Shore lines, sacrificial strops - simply double end the shore line - drop one end - pull in the whole lot - leave the strop (it came off the beach anyway) and move on.

Anchoring is about knowing the options (and using them) - and having read your posts in the past - you are past master (and innovative).

Horses for courses.

Also relevant - yachts vary considerably as to how they react to similar conditions. There is no right and wrong (well there may be) its what seems right for the owner for the specific yacht he owns.

Again knowing the options and being able to use them.

Jonathan

I'm not sure why you think that a Bahamian Moor (BM) needs a lot of space. The boat's swinging circle is very small, and at least it doesn't involve surface lines, which might catch another boat. But I quite agree , it's horses for courses. I think if I was taking a line ashore, I would make it fast to the anchor chain, below keel level, so that the boat could still swing head to wind. (Effectively a BM, but not using a second anchor).
    I suppose it depends a lot on the type of, and conditions of, the bottom. I am well aware that in, for example, Patagonia, there is so much kelp that anchoring is uncertain, and shore ropes are pretty much the rule. We have a few places with significant kelp, but with the aid of a fishfinder, it can usually be avoided.

My boat has now been anchored in a BM for nearly a month but we're back on Tuesday for more punishment.

Shore lines are a distinct hazard if you approach someone's transom to enquire (as would be polite) how much chain they have deployed. Shore lines need floats.

But, depending on the BM the yacht takers up no more space - but the rodes (and anchor) do and most people will assume there is one rode to windward (and not another extending 20m to leeward).

None of this matters where 'you' are the only yacht - its when someone arrives cold, hungry and tired and you are secure (and fast asleep) and one of a few yachts. Then the lazy anchor might be fouled.

There is no perfect answer (though we all have our own preferred options).

Think of the Baltic (which are not so much different to a Med Moor (rocky shoreline instead of a quay side), or the NW Pacific Inner Passage - where bottoms are deep and hold uncertain (because scope is so low) - then shore lines become an (obvious) option.

Jonathan

Enjoy the NW - its a bit chill here overnight - I'm envious.

Three anchors is plenty in my view (primary, spare primary and kedge).

Some cruising boats carry more anchors, but these are invariably older models that may have been expensive to purchase, so naturally the owner is reluctant to dispose of them even if it is very unlikely they will be used.

Occasionally in an emergency situation it is helpful to ditch the primary anchor. This would normally be buoyed for later retrieval but this can fail, not be feasable or not feasable for some time. So a spare primary anchor is nice to have.

If reguarly using two primary anchors both may need to be ditched. So I can understand the argument that for this type of user that two primary anchors and two spare primary anchors is desirable, With a speciality kedge anchor that brings the total to 5, but only a very small number of cruisers operate this way. So this is not applicable to most cruisers.

However, for most users with conventional anchoring gear three anchors is plenty. We have what I consider a well equiped cruising boat and anchor 300+ days a year in locations and seasons when conditions can be testing. We only carry three anchors (plus a small anchor for the tender).

Modern anchors are very versatile and will work effectively in a wide range of substrates. One particular model will not offer the best performance in all substrates but the holding reserves will generally be adequate especially if oversized. At least that has been our experience after anchoring in many countries with different substrates.

The flyer suggests that for our cruising aims our anchoring gear is inadequate. Our practical experience suggests this is not correct.
    Last edited by noelex; 20-07-19 at 14:49.

I notice yon Thinwater fellow is keeping his own council - so far!

But.... what have I started.....?

I only carry two. A 13kg and a 9 kg Knox. (well I would use that type wouldn't I ?)
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast