Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mozzie spray

Default Re: Mozzie spray

We don't get mossies either at home or in the marina … what we do get is flies in the garden if sunbathing and getting a bit sweaty, usually solved by having a swim - sometimes a spray is handy. Try to get a pressurised one (if they still sell them) rather than one you have to pump … they're better!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnac1e View Post
    Living aboard through every summer in a mosquito area where my marina is in the NE Italian lagoons, the only solution was to close up the companionway and fore-hatch with netting before dusk - not comfortable in temperatures in the upper 30s. It just wasn't practicable (or healthy) to continually use repellents on skin or aerosols to breath in.

That was for the normal European mosquito that emerged in the evening and was nocturnally active. Over the past few years we started to get the Asian Tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus), a far more aggressive insect that is faster and more difficult to swat and that operates during the day too.

It has spread beyond its Mediterranean introduction area, helped by climate change and European warmer winters, as far as Holland and here in Switzerland. It is now a serious public health emergency, being a vector for 20 diseases, according to the European Environmental Agency, including dengue, zika and yellow fever viruses. See its current known distribution here.

We all need cheering up and I regard that as a major contribution.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Switzerland. Boat : Adriatic anchor swallowed Dec. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    We all need cheering up and I regard that as a major contribution.
    I try my best.

I had wondered if your Gouda experience was due to the Tiger species as Holland is a known habitat.

In fact, Holland is itself responsible for its inundation and not because of the natural spread northwards that currently infects neighbouring countries, Germany, for example. Dutch plant importers were responsible for eggs and larvae transported from SE Asia in cut bamboo stalks where the open segments contained contaminated water.

The original European importation is said to be from rainwater in old tyres landed in Genoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Deet spray has been recommended by someone in Scotland i have Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Spray
    from ebay
    +1 avon so soft for the uk. cheap and moisturizes too!
    abroad with lotsa hungry mossies, something stonger......

Quote Originally Posted by Barnac1e View Post
    I try my best.

I had wondered if your Gouda experience was due to the Tiger species as Holland is a known habitat.

In fact, Holland is itself responsible for its inundation and not because of the natural spread northwards that currently infects neighbouring countries, Germany, for example. Dutch plant importers were responsible for eggs and larvae transported from SE Asia in cut bamboo stalks where the open segments contained contaminated water.

The original European importation is said to be from rainwater in old tyres landed in Genoa.
    I think they must have been old-fashioned ones because I managed to account for a goodly number during the course of a very long night. A few weeks later we returned and a change in the weather meant that there were none.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    Where I am in Western Australia the insects have died out. Thirty years ago we couldn't open the door at night without an enormous swarm of insects flying into the house and we couldn't drive our car without getting the windscreen splattered with the bodies of insects. Not any more.

Be very careful with what you use.

As Insect Populations Decline,
    Scientists Are Trying to Understand Why

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nderstand-why/
    A very interesting link. Thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    A very interesting link. Thank you for posting it.
    Interesting but a real worry. I think we should all be worried.

I have weeds growing through my brick paving and in my garden but I refuse to use glyphosate (marketed as Roundup or Zero in Australia). I'm going to try something that looks garden/nature friendly.

Does Roundup kill insects?
    New Study Shows Roundup Kills Bees. The most widely sprayed herbicide in the world kills honeybees, according to a new report. Glyphosate, an herbicide and active ingredient in Monsanto's (now Bayer's) Roundup weed killer, targets enzymes long assumed to be found only in plants.Oct 3, 2018
    https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/ne...dup-kills-bees

Temp Weeds.jpg
    Last edited by coopec; 22-07-19 at 05:20.

Raid spray an hour before bed and hatch netting (the kind with weighted edging for companion way) mostly works for us.

I tend to avoid getting bitten mostly by having wife in same cabin.

The SAS uses Jungle Gel for jungle training but I don't know it it is available in France.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    The SAS uses Jungle Gel for jungle training but I don't know it it is available in France.
    I think they use eau de cologne.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast