Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Mozzie spray

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,358

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    I am told you need to look for something that is at least 50% Deet to be effective. Jungle Formula Maximum fits the bill, but I am not sure you can get it in France.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    River Dart
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    I am told you need to look for something that is at least 50% Deet to be effective. Jungle Formula Maximum fits the bill, but I am not sure you can get it in France.
    DEET works well, but some people don’t get on with it. The smidge is DEET free and we’ve found it to be extremely effective.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,320

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    Deet 50% is certainly effective but it is unpleasant stuff, sticky on the skin and unsuitable for prolonged use as it can affect eyes, breathing and skin irritation. It is recommended mainly for areas where there is a malaria risk.

    Deet 20% - Jungle Formula Moderate, is in my experience pretty effective and preferable in non-malarial areas. Both are available from Boots.

    Deet is banned in some countries, and a great many limit the concentration to below 30%.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,210

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Deet 50% is certainly effective but it is unpleasant stuff, sticky on the skin and unsuitable for prolonged use as it can affect eyes, breathing and skin irritation. It is recommended mainly for areas where there is a malaria risk.

    Deet 20% - Jungle Formula Moderate, is in my experience pretty effective and preferable in non-malarial areas. Both are available from Boots.

    Deet is banned in some countries, and a great many limit the concentration to below 30%.
    Thanks chaps another wealth of information available on here.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    No fixed abode
    Posts
    2,649

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    For overnight so that you can keep hatches open get these.
    https://www.amazon.com/ENKEEO-Campin...J8JEC545R95QSZ
    They sell them at UKIP at Arzal. We have two and the record catch to date per unit is 37 wee beasties in one night.
    And BTW the Vilaine, despite other comments is mosquitoville through August especially if you are anchoring.
    Last edited by Hadenough; 20-07-19 at 18:35.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,177

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    For bite and itch relief get Onctose but make sure it’s the hydrocortisone one (pink hi lights on the tube). Available in any French pharmacy.
    Last edited by Bouba; 20-07-19 at 18:48.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wetherby
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    If you use DEET be really careful to keep the spray and your sprayed bits away from plastic. I had it on my legs and a carrier bag melted onto it as I walked along. It took several weeks to come off !

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,440

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    For a malarial area, deet is probably the only thing that works for the average traveller, along with mosquito nets. For the usual European nuisance mozzies you can try what you like, but I don't think that many have been proved effective, and some shown to make things worse. We were eaten alive in Gouda a couple of years ago but are still here to tell the tale.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Embra, maybe onboard Matilda
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    Antihistamines; start week before you go, and continue for duration. Cheap ones in Aldi at present. Doesn’t stop bites, but reduces reactions. Plus a good spray, Deet is good, but not pleasant. Carrefour sell all you will need tho’.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Switzerland. Boat : Adriatic anchor swallowed Dec. 2018
    Posts
    4,615

    Default Re: Mozzie spray

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    For a malarial area, deet is probably the only thing that works for the average traveller, along with mosquito nets. For the usual European nuisance mozzies you can try what you like, but I don't think that many have been proved effective, and some shown to make things worse. We were eaten alive in Gouda a couple of years ago but are still here to tell the tale.
    Living aboard through every summer in a mosquito area where my marina is in the NE Italian lagoons, the only solution was to close up the companionway and fore-hatch with netting before dusk - not comfortable in temperatures in the upper 30s. It just wasn't practicable (or healthy) to continually use repellents on skin or aerosols to breath in.

    That was for the normal European mosquito that emerged in the evening and was nocturnally active. Over the past few years we started to get the Asian Tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus), a far more aggressive insect that is faster and more difficult to swat and that operates during the day too.

    It has spread beyond its Mediterranean introduction area, helped by climate change and European warmer winters, as far as Holland and here in Switzerland. It is now a serious public health emergency, being a vector for 20 diseases, according to the European Environmental Agency, including dengue, zika and yellow fever viruses. See its current known distribution here.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to