Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suzuki 2.5 outboard

Hi the above runs for 5 minutes from cold starts easily on choke and then put the choke in After 5 minutes running it stalls Only starts then on choke but dies straight away Iíve cleaned carb thoroughly dismantled and used carb cleaner New petrol in tank The plug is a Resistor plug NGK CR6HSA Before cleaning the carb it wouldnít start at all. Any ideas Thanks Tarn

Default Re: Suzuki 2.5 outboard

There’s a thread on here somewhere about my Suzuki DF4 having same problem. I drilled out jets to one size larger and it transformed the engine. These Suzuki outboards are jetted lean to beat US emissions laws. In the US Suzuki dealers actually sell an enlarged jet kit to combat the issue! Machine Mart sell a micro drill set for a tenner or so.

It sounds as if there is still something lodged in one of the carb jets if it wouldn't start at all and now it does. It only needs a tiny bit of grit or old fuel gum.

I suspect that you will need an alcohol bath, and/or an air line and/or some very fine wire from an electrical flex.

Richard

Also sounds like the tank vent is not open.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarn View Post
    Hi the above runs for 5 minutes from cold starts easily on choke and then put the choke in After 5 minutes running it stalls Only starts then on choke but dies straight away Iíve cleaned carb thoroughly dismantled and used carb cleaner New petrol in tank The plug is a Resistor plug NGK CR6HSA Before cleaning the carb it wouldnít start at all. Any ideas Thanks Tarn
    It is not clear if it requires choke for 5 minutes and then dies as soon as the choke is put back in or whether it runs without choke for 5 minutes before dying.

If it runs without choke for 5 minutes and then dies it suggests that fuel supply is the problem rather than a carb problem. If this is the case then check tank vent, ( Try leaving the cap off) and the fuel valve. AFAIK there is no filter but sometime one is combined with the fuel tap. If there is a filter check/ clean that.

If OTOH it will only run on the choke but dies as soon as the choke is put back in a carb problem is the most likely cause.

On our DF 2.5 it's been the pilot jet, which is very tiny and likes to block with any tiny debris or fuel varnishing. Poking through with a single strand from a wire got it going somewhat. Poking it through with a very tiny drill bit got it going well. The manual advises not to use anything like that, but is wrong in this case. There was a nice article with lots of pictures for this job in a past PBO magazine.

We're also using fuel stabilizer towards autumn when the thing will soon be sitting around for a while. This seems to have helped with not having to do the poking ritual every spring. Fred may well be onto something with enlarging the hole a bit.

Mine had same problems despite being only a few months old. You need to drain the float bowl properly before stowing it, the old technique of running the engine dry does not work. I got the carb ultrasonicaly cleaned and use fuel stabiliser... so far no problems. However draining the float bowl puts neat petrol straight into the sea and atmosphere, thus making a total mockery of the clean air intentions of lean jets!

I had exactly the same issue as that. Everything pointed to fuel problems when in fact it was a faulty plug.
    It might not be in your case but try a new one.

Thanks The fuel cap is venting Ok Engine starts on choke after stalling but only just starts and then dies Plug is new but I havenít cleaned inline filter on fuel tap Only just found out it had one Iíll try that and report back Thanks Tarn

This is a common problem with this engine, as it won’t tickover without choke.
    The tickover jet is under the screw in the ballast chamber in the carb. This leads to a very small drilling in the body which has a kink.
    Strip carb clean and rebuild then fir a very small fuel filter under the carb. eBay £5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast