Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Quick anchor question

I know anchoring is a very fickle subject here so I am not going to disagree with anyones opinion. I just bought a Metz aeriel from these guys and they seem decent enough.

My boats 24ft Colvic Springtide, roughly 7 1/2 mtrs. Noted that the 6kg delta is out of stock at the moment but they say it will do up to a 10mtr boat. I would have thought that would be a bit light but obviously I'm wrong. I'll get one of these when they do come back in stock.

I'll be using 30mtrs 6mm chain on it.

Am I right to be sceptical about 6kg delta being a tad light. The 8kg one is in stock.

I'd just be interested in your views.

https://www.marinesuppliesdirect.co....hor-3969-p.asp

Kind regards

Skip

Edit, this isn't a Delta but it's interesting to see the wee fishes nosying around this anchor in this Youtube video.. There's a whole other world down there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C56jYgyxM-Y
    Last edited by skipper681; 20-07-19 at 11:54.

Default Re: Quick anchor question

If the 8kg isnt too big for your boat, I'd say bigger is better and the fact that it's in stock means you can actually buy it.

having said that, why not a Rocna/Manson or similar?
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    If the 8kg isnt too big for your boat, I'd say bigger is better and the fact that it's in stock means you can actually buy it.

having said that, why not a Rocna/Manson or similar?
    Googling that now, I'm new to yachting so I know nothing about these wee anchors. Thanks for your reply.

I have this nasty suspicion that a Rocna or Manson Supreme might be more expensive than a Delta and you might query the price difference. Be assured the Rocna and Supreme will out perform the Delta. If you have the option of a Kobra - it should be cheaper and though not quite as good as the Rocna nor Supreme it is much better than a Delta.

If you are anchoring short term, lunch, a swim of the yacht - then almost any 6kg anchor will be more than adequate. If you want to leave the yacht in an exposed location (go somewhere else) or stay overnight (look for a good sheltered location) then a 6kg Rocna, Supreme or Kobra will be adequate (but go for the 8kg Delta).

I confess not to know the Springtide, at all - but I do know of Colvic, I lived, for a short time, next door to their factory! Maybe someone with more personal knowledge of the vessel will pop up later - don't rush into your purchase today! unless you really cannot delay

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I have this nasty suspicion that a Rocna or Manson Supreme might be more expensive than a Delta and you might query the price difference. Be assured the Rocna and Supreme will out perform the Delta. If you have the option of a Kobra - it should be cheaper and though not quite as good as the Rocna nor Supreme it is much better than a Delta.

If you are anchoring short term, lunch, a swim of the yacht - then almost any 6kg anchor will be more than adequate. If you want to leave the yacht in an exposed location (go somewhere else) or stay overnight (look for a good sheltered location) then a 6kg Rocna, Supreme or Kobra will be adequate (but go for the 8kg Delta).

I confess not to know the Springtide, at all - but I do know of Colvic, I lived, for a short time, next door to their factory! Maybe someone with more personal knowledge of the vessel will pop up later - don't rush into your purchase today! unless you really cannot delay

Jonathan
    Thanks Jonathan.

The boat's in the yard so in no panic to buy right now.. I'm a retired trawlerman so got this wee sailing boat just to have, I'm trying to kit it out for the best way I can.. If anyone has any links to a better sailing boat anchor I'd really appreciate it. I think the boats between 2.5 to 3 tonne.

Kind regards

Skip

Edit to add - I've had a look at Manson Supreme and aye they're a bit expensive but as it's a thing that is a safety element and something that that I only plan to buy once it could be worth it..

As always, I'm still open to suggestions, I'm not a tight git but anyone got a second hand one lol?
    Last edited by skipper681; 20-07-19 at 13:45.

I understand that second hand anchor come up on eBay - good to keep your eyes open, especially as you appear to have time. I think you will find Rocna the same sort of price as a Supreme, Kobra a bit cheaper. I forgot but if you want to support good British industry then look at Knox anchor (the other are made in China, New Zealand and China respectively. They (Knox), from tests, are a bit better than either a Rocna or Supreme - but I don't think anyone who uses one would tell the difference - and they are also a bit pricey. You would be fine with one around 6kg - ring Geoff at Knox Anchor.

I don't know your proposed sailing ground but if it is all mud or soft sand then a Danforth would suffice. The problem is that at that size most Danforth are cheap copies and may not perform as well as the original (if they perform at all) - so you need to look at one made by a reputable supplier/manufacturer - like Lewmar or Plastimo. But a Danforth, or fluke anchor, would not be reliable in any weed, it would need to be much bigger to be effective, or stony seabeds.

If you find a 5kg Spade on eBay - that would work - but new they are expensive. If you go and look at the Shannon RNLI boat - it a Spade on the bow. Its a good endorsement - the RNLI have dropped Delta in favour of Spade and of the new reliable anchors (Rocna, Supreme, Kobra) Knox and Spade are the most expensive - but check - someone might be doing a deal in a chandler near you (or a factory in Scotland)

Jonathan

For Geoff see post number 20

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-anchors/page2

Send him a PM or ring him, check the Knox website. He will also offer advice on size and usage. It is not every day you can actually speak to the people who make something. He also sells, tested, shackles - but he buys them in.

You might find it difficult to buy shackles that will fit your chain (same size of chain we use) and your anchor - he will talk you through this. He will be well worth the effort.

I for one will be interested in how you get on and what conclusion you reach.
    Last edited by Neeves; 20-07-19 at 23:37.

Thanks all, that's a lot to think about.. can someone send a link to a decent anchor where I can buy it.

Thanks
    Skip
    Last edited by skipper681; 21-07-19 at 00:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    I understand that second hand anchor come up on eBay - good to keep your eyes open, especially as you appear to have time. I think you will find Rocna the same sort of price as a Supreme, Kobra a bit cheaper. I forgot but if you want to support good British industry then look at Knox anchor (the other are made in China, New Zealand and China respectively. They (Knox), from tests, are a bit better than either a Rocna or Supreme - but I don't think anyone who uses one would tell the difference - and they are also a bit pricey. You would be fine with one around 6kg - ring Geoff at Knox Anchor.

I don't know your proposed sailing ground but if it is all mud or soft sand then a Danforth would suffice. The problem is that at that size most Danforth are cheap copies and may not perform as well as the original (if they perform at all) - so you need to look at one made by a reputable supplier/manufacturer - like Lewmar or Plastimo. But a Danforth, or fluke anchor, would not be reliable in any weed, it would need to be much bigger to be effective, or stony seabeds.

If you find a 5kg Spade on eBay - that would work - but new they are expensive. If you go and look at the Shannon RNLI boat - it a Spade on the bow. Its a good endorsement - the RNLI have dropped Delta in favour of Spade and of the new reliable anchors (Rocna, Supreme, Kobra) Knox and Spade are the most expensive - but check - someone might be doing a deal in a chandler near you (or a factory in Scotland)

Jonathan

For Geoff see post number 20

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-anchors/page2

Send him a PM or ring him, check the Knox website. He will also offer advice on size and usage. It is not every day you can actually speak to the people who make something. He also sells, tested, shackles - but he buys them in.

You might find it difficult to buy shackles that will fit your chain (same size of chain we use) and your anchor - he will talk you through this. He will be well worth the effort.

I for one will be interested in how you get on and what conclusion you reach.
    Thanks again Jonathan. I'll update when I find something.

I'm looking at all suggestions so far but still undecided, found these local on gumtree as well. I just wish I could find the handbrake on this wee sailing boat lol. Anchoring seems to be an artform that requires a doctorate to master.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...or-/1345632111
    or
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/sailing-eq...hor/1345747962

The 2nd one is a bit heavy at 20kg.
    Last edited by skipper681; 21-07-19 at 10:41.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    it's interesting to see the wee fishes nosying around this anchor in this Youtube video.. There's a whole other world down there.
    Not only fishes. This octopus took a fancy to the underwater float attached to our Mantus anchor:

Quote Originally Posted by skipper681 View Post
    As always, I'm still open to suggestions, I'm not a tight git but anyone got a second hand one lol?
    Rather than a Delta anchor, the Kobra 2 while still an older convex plough design has slightly better performance and is normally less expensive (check your local pricing, because this varies with location).

If the budget will stretch further the Mantus, Rocna, and steel Spade are best performing general purpose primary anchors I have seen.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

I have yet to see a Kobra come up secondhand, although it may happen. I see a few Deltas and bought one myself. I owned various ones for 25 years and think they are a great anchor except in very soft seabeds. The vast majority of charter boats in Greece are equipped with them and if set properly they are fine.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast