Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poled out headsail technique. Extra sheet?

In the fourth part of our series Dan Bower looks at downwind sailing techniques, including sailing with poled out headsail and main for stress-free ocean cruising
    Read more at https://www.yachtingworld.com/news/b...7ADKGgm3OHk.99

In this ybw ocean cruising tips Dan Bower uses the jib sheet in the jaw of the pole.

I was taught, and prefer to set an extra sheet with the lazy spinnaker sheet through the pole onto the clew or one of the jib sheet bowlines. I think this gives you more options if you have to gybe, furl in an emergency.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by joyfull; 20-07-19 at 17:56.

Default Re: Poled out headsail technique. Extra sheet?

More importantly the route of the sheet through the pole end to the car and then winch is often more torturous with added chafe than using an independent sheet running from the clew, through the pole and to a turning block on the quarter.

As an aside, I brace the pole with topping lift, fore and aft guys so its position is fixed and have the sheet tight against the jaws of the pole. This has been used on 3 crossings with no chafe. If you need to alter the shape of the headsail you can do so by moving the pole end.

On many "trade wind" videos I see the pole moving up and down as well as fore and aft and the sheet wears very quickly.
    Last edited by Dave100456; 20-07-19 at 13:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave100456 View Post
    More importantly the route of the sheet through the pole end to the car and then winch is often more torturous with added chafe than using an independent sheet running from the clew, through the pole and to a turning block on the quarter.

As an aside, I brace the pole with topping lift, fore and aft guys so its position is fixed and have the sheet tight against the jaws of the pole. This has been used on 3 crossings with no chafe. If you need to alter the shape of the headsail you can do so by moving the pole end.

On many "trade wind" videos I see the pole moving up and down as well as fore and aft and the sheet wears very quickly.
    Very much +1. Every boat Ive taken on Ocean trips has needed an extra headsail sheet blocked somewhere on the quarter.

Pole downhaul on some has needed adjusting quite a bit too when reefing so it doesnt rub on a guardwire.

For chafe reduction, Ive used socks, bar towels and even a cut up potato sack bought complete with spuds in Gomera! It surprises most people just how much a downwind ocean crossing is tough on the whole rig.

Otherwise, easy to set, easy to sail with.

We use this method too. Pole is locked in place with uphaul (topping lift), fore- and aft guy. Genoa sheet is clipped into the jaw and then unfurled. This way the pole can't move around, which means no wear or noise (which I can't abide). It also means we can reef or completely furl our big 150% Genoa from the cockpit without having to go forward to do the pole dance. Also more control (and safety) when deploying or retrieving the pole.

Additionally, there's a small control line from the midpoint to the pole piston, so I can pull it from the foredeck and release the (slack) Genoa sheet from the pole (jaw facing down) if need be. Ours is a telescoping pole, but that probably doesn't matter much in this case, other than allowing us to pole out the whole big Genoa.

Works very well on our boat for downwind sailing, either on its own, or if dead downwind with the main on the other side and a preventer locking the boom in place too.

The only time this doesn't work well is in light airs, where the heavy Genoa fabric tends to flop around and not fill well. A lighter nylon sail would do better here, but our budget is limited and we haven't come across a good used offer on our travels yet.

Yngmar and others who might be able to assist. Due to my being somewhat dull, i'm having difficulties envisaging the set up, you're using! Could I request a simplistic diagram drawing? Indicating where any turning blocks are best located, where the guys need to be? Anything would be great.
    I'm not keen to get involved with a spinnaker - extremely short-handed and generally single handed with observer occasionally - but at least poling out the Genoa would improve things downwind. Just can't seem to get my head around the best set up.

Thanks

Found a picture that illustrates what the pole setup looks like. Where the turning blocks go exactly depends very much on your boat, you'll have to experiment a bit. Depends where your attachment points are and which way you need to go around the pulpit. On ours the foreguy goes through the fwd mooring cleat and the aft guy through the midships one, then back into the cockpit so we can tweak the pole from there. Pole uphaul was already moused and just needed a line, which is also led back to the cockpit. It exits the mast about halfway up or so. Our sheet angle is a bit less dramatic than in that picture (with the car all the way back).

Definitely recommend using a spinnaker sheet or similar for control rather than the Genoa sheet in the illustration and the Yachting World feature.

Also furl and unfurl the Genoa quite frequently depending on wind angle and sail shape. Smaller flatter genoa and pole forward allows you to sail on a closer reach. Flatter (furled) also better in light airs broad reaching to avoid sail flopping around.
    Last edited by joyfull; 20-07-19 at 18:10.

I sailed for some time on a 45 ft yacht and downwind when we poled out we riggged topping lift, fore guy and an after guy which kept the pole rigid but easily adjusted, this is the same as others have said. What we also did was to put a snatch block on the pole end of the after guy, The headsail sheet was then clipped into the snatch block, this greatly reduced the friction and wear on the sheet.
    David MH

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    We use this method too. Pole is locked in place with uphaul (topping lift), fore- and aft guy. .
    Another +1.
    Atlantic trades pretty sure i used a snatch block at the end of the pole for the sheet to go through, no chafe anyway with the normal sheet. Similar setup on the main, with a preventer, topping lift and main sheet you can lock the boom wherever you want which can be handy for lighter airs.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Another +1.
    Atlantic trades pretty sure i used a snatch block at the end of the pole for the sheet to go through, no chafe anyway with the normal sheet. Similar setup on the main, with a preventer, topping lift and main sheet you can lock the boom wherever you want which can be handy for lighter airs.
    Yup. The times we have taken our live on boat over, Ive used the boom as effectively a second pole with a second headsail set on it with a removeable inner forestay. Makes for a comfortable crossing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast