Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All a question of degree

Listening to the news this morning, they played a reputed extract of a radio conversation with the oil tanker off Iran. The Iranian instructions were something like "steer a course of 360 degrees".
    It has been too long since my VHF course. Is it more correct to say 360 degrees or 000 degrees?

Default Re: All a question of degree

Good question. I don't know which is correct so I would have copped out and said "Steer North"!
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Listening to the news this morning, they played a reputed extract of a radio conversation with the oil tanker off Iran. The Iranian instructions were something like "steer a course of 360 degrees".
    It has been too long since my VHF course. Is it more correct to say 360 degrees or 000 degrees?
    Theoretically, there isn't a 360 degrees. Anything between north and 1 degree is 0.xx degrees, so the base number must be 0. Which would mean while you can get to 359.9999n, you will never get to 360.

From South Devon, living SE coast Spain, boat in S.Spain

On Merchant ships we always said "steer North", or "oh, oh, oh," or (I think for better clarity) "zero, zero, zero". What does your auto pilot display show?
    M.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Theoretically, there isn't a 360 degrees. Anything between north and 1 degree is 0.xx degrees, so the base number must be 0. Which would mean while you can get to 359.9999n, you will never get to 360.
    You are overthinking this, to avoid avoiding a cliche. When a clock hand is pointing upwards we say that it is twelve o'clock, not nought o'clock. The compass and clock are not the same of course, but since we naturally tend to think in terms of a clock face, it makes sense to use 360 degrees in order to make the meaning clear.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Was there any mention of "steer true or ​magnetic"?

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    Was there any mention of "steer true or ​magnetic"?
    That was my thought as well
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

"maintain current heading"

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    The compass and clock are not the same of course ....
    That's very true ...... a compass has a 0 at the top and a clock has a 12 at the top. That might have some impact on what we say when the pointer is pointing at those numerals.

Richard

It might depend.
    If your current course is 345, coming up to 360 makes complete sense.
    If you are trying to average your course then you need to add or subtract 360 sometimes to make any sense. The average of steering 355 and 005 is not 180!
    In yacht racing of course, 360 is a penalty turn for touching a mark, which might saved a lot of diplomatic fallout?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast