Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poxy Drascombe

Default Poxy Drascombe

The charity I help with has a Drascombe which is kept on the local reservoir and has been afloat all season for the last 10 summers. They now want to sell it so I started to clean it up this morning. When I got through the crud on the bottom I found a rash of blisters below the waterline.

Firstly, does anyone have experience of osmosis in Drascombes? I appreciate that mooring in fresh water is the worst thing for that condition but as it was built in the 21st century I would expect it to be a lot more resistant.

Secondly, this reduces our chances of getting a decent price for it so any suggestions what we should do about it. I think the charity would be reluctant to stump up for a professional peel so is it best to do a DIY patch-up job or try to sell as-is?
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Default Re: Poxy Drascombe

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    The charity I help with has a Drascombe which is kept on the local reservoir and has been afloat all season for the last 10 summers. They now want to sell it so I started to clean it up this morning. When I got through the crud on the bottom I found a rash of blisters below the waterline.

Firstly, does anyone have experience of osmosis in Drascombes? I appreciate that mooring in fresh water is the worst thing for that condition but as it was built in the 21st century I would expect it to be a lot more resistant.

Secondly, this reduces our chances of getting a decent price for it so any suggestions what we should do about it. I think the charity would be reluctant to stump up for a professional peel so is it best to do a DIY patch-up job or try to sell as-is?
    Which drascombe is it?

You and the other volunteers could strip the gelcoat off the bottom, leave the boat under a tent to dry out - it's the right time of year if you're quick - then apply Gelshield.

BUT that's tons of work, the worst kind above head height and you'd all need to be careful re eye, face and arm protection - and by the sound of it you may be on your own !

It's well known nowadays osmosis never sank a boat yet, just auction off for whatever they can get.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    You and the other volunteers could strip the gelcoat off the bottom, leave the boat under a tent to dry out - it's the right time of year if you're quick - then apply Gelshield.

BUT that's tons of work, the worst kind above head height and you'd all need to be careful re eye, face and arm protection - and by the sound of it you may be on your own !

It's well known nowadays osmosis never sank a boat yet, just auction off for whatever they can get.
    How "above head height"?
    Drascombes can be turned over to get at their bottom, they are only dinghies.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Which drascombe is it?
    The Longboat - 22ft, open cockpit version.

I follow 'Free Range Sailing' on YouTube they had a few blisters popped them and let them dry then epoxied them in. Not a difficult job. Have a search for them and see what you think.

The Longboat - 22ft, open cockpit version.
    Is it a Drascombe (Churchouse Boats) or a Devon (Honnor Marine)? I'd start by contacting whichever maker it is and asking their advice. However, Honnor Marine have recently changed hands - I'm not even sure if they are building new boats at the moment - so if it's one of theirs they may not be able to help much.

A ten year old Longboat is probably only worth £3 - £5k depending on use and whether it has a trailer, so almost certainly not worth professional rectification. I'd pop, grind, fill, fair and paint.

(10 year old Honnor Marine Devon Longboat, no blisters yet!)
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Is it a Drascombe (Churchouse Boats) or a Devon (Honnor Marine)?
    Yes, bought new from Churchouse 2008

New price seems to be £19,995 + VAT today! I wonder why anyone buys new with that degree of depreciation.

Yes, bought new from Churchouse 2008

New price seems to be £19,995 + VAT today! I wonder why anyone buys new with that degree of depreciation.
    Surprises me too, but them's the breaks. I suspect it's because there are so many second hand Drascombes around, often lightly used, that once the new boat smell has worn off they are in a large pool of possibles.

Although mine is a Honnor Marine one I have found Sharon Geary-Howard at Churchouse to be unfailingly helpful and friendly, so I'd definitely recommedn asking her advice.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

We had a boat once that I had grit blasted to remove years of anti fouling. When it had been surveyed a couple of years previously, the hull was declared sound with VC Tar Epoxy protecting it and no signs of any blistering. The grit blasting revealed hundreds of 3-5 mm shallow craters where the gel coat had formed bubbles under the epoxy at some time.

I allowed it to dry for a short time and filled them all with epoxy filler and then faired the hull with a random orbital sander. Primed with antifouling primer and anitfouled the whole thing. When we sold it a year or two later the survey didn't reveal anything untoward at all.

The whole process didn't take me more than a few hours.

(Our current boat was peeled and dried and vacuum/heat dried and then layers of multi-axial glass matt was epoxied onto the hull. Then it was gel shielded and then it was anti fouled with Copper Coat. I reckon it's now stronger than when it was first built... but the cost was a bit eye watering.)
    Semper aliud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast