Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mooring springs

Default Mooring springs

Can anyone tell me if and when these are useful, please?

I must admit a bias against them, as I have never seen them on the boats on which I learned to sail, and I have certainly never used them.

I found a pair in the lockers of the boat I bought this year and am inclined to throw them away, but I am struggling against a deeply ingrained hoarding instinct which makes me resist disposing of anything that "might be useful one day".

Default Re: Mooring springs

dont throw them away, use them, or send them to me and I will use them!

I always keep rubber snubbers ready for use but there is something to be said for the springs for a permanent berth. I don't think there is much to choose between them, though the higher hysteresis of the rubber should be an advantage if comfort is the aim. I would be very critical of anyone who chose to throw away anything potentially useful.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I'm a liveaboard, so a permanent berth is not a consideration, but locker space is.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

We use ours from time to time in surging conditions. Very helpful, having lost a couple of fairleads to twanging warps. We also used them when we overwintered afloat at Bastia, a very windy place.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

In Med moorings almost everyone uses them. They prevent snatching that puts huge forces on the boat cleats. The wind can be very strong, I’ve actually broken a spring and now use oversize ones.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    In Med moorings almost everyone uses them. They prevent snatching that puts huge forces on the boat cleats. The wind can be very strong, I’ve actually broken a spring and now use oversize ones.
    +1. Don’t have any on board at the moment as the boat is out of the water overwinter but they make for a much more comfortable time when surge hits the berth. Also cuts down somewhat on creaking warps. Some folks use a loop of chain as a bridge over the spring, so that if it breaks you’ve got the chain to stop the boat going walkabout.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post

I had no idea they were so important.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Some folks use a loop of chain as a bridge over the spring, so that if it breaks you’ve got the chain to stop the boat going walkabout.
    Ah! I found some lengths of chain in the same locker, that I thought worthless because they were so short. I shall have to reinspect them.

We have them in the Canaries where swell can be a problem. HOWEVER.... sometimes they're good and sometimes they act like a spring and make you bounce around more. Just depends on the situation really but occaisionally having very loose mooring lines without the metal springs can be better.

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    We have them in the Canaries where swell can be a problem. HOWEVER.... sometimes they're good and sometimes they act like a spring and make you bounce around more. Just depends on the situation really but occaisionally having very loose mooring lines without the metal springs can be better.
    That is when rubber snubbers are better. My feeling is that rubber is better when you are on board but springs possibly when you aren't.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast