Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using davits to store tender .... options please

Afternoon all

We have a westerly chieftain (thatís the one with the aft cabin) ... 28 footer.

My question is where to store a tender, both at sea and at mooring? I was eyeing up some beautiful davits this weekend and wondered wether this might be an option because of the under utilised space at the stern.... the boat has a very flat back - if that makes sense?

Any ideas or photos would be appreciated

Default Re: Using davits to store tender .... options please

When we are onboard we store our dinghy plus outboard on the davits the right way up but with the bung out.

When we leave the boat in the marina and return to the UK, I store the dinghy upside down on the davits with a little air released. This stops the tubes getting too much sunlight and ensures that it cannot possibly take on rain water. It also keeps the inside clean.

Richard

Does the addition of the weight aft have a detrimental effect on the boat trim?

I've been considering this too, and despite seeing every man and his dog with a set hanging off the back, can't quite rationalise the weight transfer.

Brilliant, thanks Richard.

Can I ask where the davits are mounted - to the deck or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SiteSurfer View Post
    Does the addition of the weight aft have a detrimental effect on the boat trim?

I've been considering this too, and despite seeing every man and his dog with a set hanging off the back, can't quite rationalise the weight transfer.
    A typical inflatable doesn't weigh much, so hanging it off the back probably wouldn't upset the trim any more than someone standing on the aft deck.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    A typical inflatable doesn't weigh much, so hanging it off the back probably wouldn't upset the trim any more than someone standing on the aft deck.
    I was thinking plus outboard, but given that sits on the pushpit anyway - durrr.... back to my box.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteSurfer View Post
    I was thinking plus outboard, but given that sits on the pushpit anyway - durrr.... back to my box.
    Plus the davits. An average small flubber might weigh 50lbs and I imagine the davits somewhat the same, and we'll discount the outboard. A sturdy boat like a Westerly will be OK, but the dinghy will surely have some effect with all that weight so far aft, not to mention the windage. It would significantly hamper one's efforts to sail to windward, should the owner feel inclined to try it.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Plus the davits. An average small flubber might weigh 50lbs and I imagine the davits somewhat the same, and we'll discount the outboard. A sturdy boat like a Westerly will be OK, but the dinghy will surely have some effect with all that weight so far aft, not to mention the windage. It would significantly hamper one's efforts to sail to windward, should the owner feel inclined to try it.
    Tricky isn’t it. I agree that being a westerly the boat is pretty robust and could take the weight well, but the effect on the sail might not suit......

Quote Originally Posted by Alskade View Post
    Brilliant, thanks Richard.

Can I ask where the davits are mounted - to the deck or elsewhere?
    My davits are simply bolted to the underside of the bridgedeck but, of course, with a cat it's a lot easier to mount them.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    The windage and weight might be proportionally more for the OP’s relatively small boat (in davits terms), but certainly for our (spritely) boat the dinghy on davits has no noticeable impact on windward performance. Massively better than towing a dinghy - and deflating to stow not a practical option for many cruising waters (I launched and used the dinghy 5 times in one day, in different locations, last week). For serious cruising using anchor rather than pontoons davits are a big benefit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast