Thread: 10mm plywood?

Default 10mm plywood?

I’ve got a panel of 10mm plywood in the aft cabin of our Westerly Sealord that I’ve got to replace. When I measure the thickness it appears to come up as 10mm. The only thicknesses I can see available are 9mm or 12mm. It’s teak faced ply.

Did Westerly use 9mm ply and add a teak face? Was 10mm available in 1986?

Any suggestions for suppliers apart from Robbins?
    Semper aliud

Default Re: 10mm plywood?

Maybe it's a result of the thick varnish Westerly are renowned for using...

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Maybe it's a result of the thick varnish Westerly are renowned for using...
    Or perhaps the leaky deck fitting for the emergency steering that I discovered had allowed some moisture in to swell the wood? The wood is in a pretty bad way behind the gloss. Hence me replacing it.

Our interior was originally sprayed with two pack varnish at the factory. It's extremely tough thin coat but after so many years I'm having to revarnish some areas now.
    Semper aliud

3/8?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    3/8?
    That makes perfect sense...

It actually doesn't matter if it's a bit thicker so I might just go for 12mm.

The stuff is a bit pricy! I've sent enquiries to a few suppliers but I know that the quality from Robbins is outstanding so I might just grit my teeth as I pay.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Our interior was originally sprayed with two pack varnish at the factory. It's extremely tough thin coat but after so many years I'm having to revarnish some areas now.
    It was a 2 pack satin finish lacquer, I can't recall the make or the name, but it came in a tall grey 5ltr metal tin.

Horrid stuff to use, we re-did the interiors of the Westerley Sea School Fulmars with it each winter.

I’ve got a panel of 10mm plywood in the aft cabin of our Westerly Sealord that I’ve got to replace. When I measure the thickness it appears to come up as 10mm. The only thicknesses I can see available are 9mm or 12mm. It’s teak faced ply.

Did Westerly use 9mm ply and add a teak face? Was 10mm available in 1986?

Any suggestions for suppliers apart from Robbins?
    There's Avon Plywood....

http://www.avonply.co.uk/

They're just a couple of miles away.

That makes perfect sense...

It actually doesn't matter if it's a bit thicker so I might just go for 12mm.

The stuff is a bit pricy! I've sent enquiries to a few suppliers but I know that the quality from Robbins is outstanding so I might just grit my teeth as I pay.
    You have a choice of elite or super elite. I have just dismantled my galley the sole of which was elite and wet. It is guaranteed for 15 years (super elite 25 years) and shows no signs of opening up. It has to be 25 odd years old.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Ply is imperial, so 3/8 is 9.525mm, marketed as 9.5....usually. That's why it's 8x4ft, 2440x1220.

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered 1/2 sheet of teak faced Elite from Robbins. It arrives today. It’s slightly annoying that the least waste would have involved a 1/2 sheet cut ‘lengthways’ from the 8x4 sheet but the teak grain would have been running the wrong way in the finished panel with that cut so I’ve had to order 1/2 sheet cut as a square.
    Semper aliud