Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    In this situation, as you asked and he's said he'd like you to then yes, in your shoes I would replace the radio but I would not accept any further invitation to join him. I don't think he should be asking you to replace it - I would only ask someone to replace broken / lost kit if I really felt it was complete negligence & that they hadn't been polite enough to offer AND I wasn't planning on inviting them again (actually, even then I doubt I'd ask... I'd just not invite them back and put it down to experience. I don't race my boat so may have this wrong - but whilst a reasonable handheld VHF might be £150 or so, I would have thought that having good and reliable crew was invaluable :-)
    It's not an unreasonable viewpoint that taking the HH out of the cockpit just clipped to a lifejecket is a lack of reasonable care for the boat's gear.
    The most valuable crew are those that show a little commitment and are prepared to put their hand up for a cock-up and pay for something they've lost.

Basically, the problem is there are no fixed rules about sailing with other people, so you have to either iron out every possibility up front or be prepared for the odd bill.
    If it was a charter boat, there would be no question that losses would be paid for.

I think a lot of people might have fudged the issue, it's not uncommon for crew to make a contribution every time they race, I think some people I've sailed with would have gone halves. Others might have accepted the offer of a replacement, because to decline might be seen as rich owner patronising the crew. I've enjoyed sailing, mostly racing, with a lot of different people, and I'm constantly surprised by the range of ideas which various people consider 'normal', particularly when it comes to money.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Add insult to injury with a non-waterproof, non-type-approved piece of ebay tat?
    I described it as “high quality feel and incredible value for money” That’s why I suggested it.

My suggestion was based upon my experience of owning one. It is incredibly versatile as it can be programmed to receive air traffic and as a transceiver on marine vhf and amateur 2m vhf and 70cm uhf. It’s easy to program either simplex, duplex or repeater channels where used internationally.

I’ve held an amateur A license for almost 40 years. Within the amateur fraternity it has a good reputation. A friend of mine claims that the radio was originally manufactured by a major but that they sold the license to the Chinese when it, inevitably, became obsolete. The Chinese have re-badged it.

And your knowledge and experience for describing it as “ebay tat” is?

Have to say I think I’m at odds with some here. YOU have made a gentlemanly offer and one that you should expect to honour without comeback. To pay up on the offer you made and then feel hard done to is unfair on the owner. He apparently didn’t ask you to pay up. So why shouldn’t he take you at your word and accept your offer? If you subsequently fall out or “decline in future” that is really unfair on the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    I described it as “high quality feel and incredible value for money” That’s why I suggested it.

My suggestion was based upon my experience of owning one. It is incredibly versatile as it can be programmed to receive air traffic and as a transceiver on marine vhf and amateur 2m vhf and 70cm uhf. It’s easy to program either simplex, duplex or repeater channels where used internationally.

I’ve held an amateur A license for almost 40 years. Within the amateur fraternity it has a good reputation. A friend of mine claims that the radio was originally manufactured by a major but that they sold the license to the Chinese when it, inevitably, became obsolete. The Chinese have re-badged it.

I wouldn't even have asked if he 'wanted' me to replace the radio, I would do it as a matter of course. Regardless of how the situation came about, I would know that I was the person that lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post

It's not waterproof so no way is it a fit for purpose, like-for-like replacement.
    It's illegal to use on a marine licence.
    The recipient will look on ebay, see that it's £20 and not be amused.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234