Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tragic hat loss

Default Re: Tragic hat loss

If you need a replacement baseball cap go for a walk along the path on the Warsash side of the mouth of the River Hamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Maybe, but being somewhat follicularly challenged, I'd rather be a totally idiotic looking lunatic yachty without skin cancer that a cool dude with.

I've never been able to see the point of a baseball cap on a boat. If you wear it the right way round, the wind gets under the peak and it goes swimming, wear it twat way round, and what's the point?
    Big +1. I started wearing brim hats on the firm recommendation/ direction of the consultant who had just removed a chunk of my skin.
    He specifically said not baseball caps as don't cover ears and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Big +1. I started wearing brim hats on the firm recommendation/ direction of the consultant who had just removed a chunk of my skin.
    He specifically said not baseball caps as don't cover ears and neck.
    Ah, but that is the point of wearing it backwards, it covers your red neck

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I lost my sun hat overboard while beating out of the Seine in our Sadler 29. A quick gybe and our hat-overboard drill worked perfectly. Just saying, boasting really.
    We were just finishing a race on the Crouch back in the 60's. Friend crewing, of US parentage, was wearing a baseball cap which had already raised a few comments, lost it overboard when we suddenly jibed. Prob was, he was wearing it... We got the gun as we crash turned to pick him up (can't finish the race without full crew) and they realised, giving a second gun when we passed the line again. Think we were 2nd.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    Are you both trying to sound like my Father???
    How painful was your frontal lobotomy?

Thanks for the smiles, Brilliant post buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    Maybe, but being somewhat follicularly challenged, I'd rather be a totally idiotic looking lunatic yachty without skin cancer that a cool dude with.

I've never been able to see the point of a baseball cap on a boat. If you wear it the right way round, the wind gets under the peak and it goes swimming, wear it twat way round, and what's the point?
    Fair comment but I find that factor 50 works just as well.

Yes, but I either don't put enough on, and feel my head starting to glow after a couple of hours, or I put too much on and it ends up staining the bedding and seat cushions.

Had my first Tilley Hat overboard yesterday. I was trying to be clever and, as usual, only demonstrated my stupidity and a gust while I was sorting things out sent it overboard. Fortunately, Milady remembered her man overboard drill and kept it in sight, so we were able to recover it.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I tried a baseball cap a few times. Neck required extreme extension to look at masthead windex.

Gave up when both cap and spectacles blew off . Recovered spectacles on cockpit floor but
    did not care about the cap.

I now only wear a brimmed hat with chin straps. I think that our Australian relations
    lead the world in sun hats and get relations to bring me a couple each visit.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    I tried a baseball cap a few times. Neck required extreme extension to look at masthead windex.

Gave up when both cap and spectacles blew off . Recovered spectacles on cockpit floor but
    did not care about the cap.

I now only wear a brimmed hat with chin straps. I think that our Australian relations
    lead the world in sun hats and get relations to bring me a couple each visit.
    I often wear a brimmed hat, a sort of Millett's Tilley copy, which has a chin strap, but it is OK only up to about 12 knots wind, after which the brim flops down and I can't see a bloody thing suddenly. For these conditions I use a Musto cap with a clip. Other makes are available.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast