Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Standing into danger...

Was onboard this afternoon doing some maintenance work - had the vhf on and heard Dover Coastguard calling a vessel with a warning that it was running into shallow water on the Goodwin Sands. At one point he admonished the vessel telling the skipper (unheard) to consult his charts.
    Admirable service, I thought; but does the coastguard normally monitor vessels and warn them about shallows etc?
    Did anyone hear both sides of the conversation?

Default Re: Standing into danger...

I have never heard the CG say anything like that.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    I have never heard the CG say anything like that.
    I was proceeding upstream from the Thames barrier once and keeping well over to Stbd to avoid a large vessel coming down river when I got a call from the Barrier on vhf saying I was heading towards shallow water. I thanked them politely for their intervention.... (although I knew exactly where I was and where the shallow patch off Deanston Wharf is. )
    Semper aliud

Crossing the North Sea we have often heard CG on both sides advising pleasure and commercial vessels of dangers or restrictions if a vessel's movements were unsure ie stopping close to a submarine cable. AIS makes monitoring much easier and making a VHF call can save a lot of hassle if the vessel was unaware however this is not a fall back "service" for casual navigators.

not yet.... just wait..... "somebody should have told me.... I have AIS"

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    not yet.... just wait..... "somebody should have told me.... I have AIS"
    AIS is a valuable tool - don't expect CG or anyone else to prepare plotting sheets for the sake of monitoring a pleasure boat's progress. It is Ramsgate Regatta week.......

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    Was onboard this afternoon doing some maintenance work - had the vhf on and heard Dover Coastguard calling a vessel with a warning that it was running into shallow water on the Goodwin Sands. At one point he admonished the vessel telling the skipper (unheard) to consult his charts.
    Admirable service, I thought; but does the coastguard normally monitor vessels and warn them about shallows etc?
    Did anyone hear both sides of the conversation?
    No - we heard what you heard. Did make us laugh tho.

FYI - We also heard you radio check your new VHF. We were at Waldringfield on the Deben at the time.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

We had one of the RNLI Ribs attempt to head us off when approaching Ryde sands at last years RTI shouting and waving at us to turn around. We politely ignored them and carried on only for their colleagues in another Rib to come charging across our bows a few minutes later. We did rather chuckle when they hit both outboards so hard it nearly fired the crew over the bows.......I suppose they weren't to know we only draw 14" with the board and rudder up........ I did pause just long enough to ask them if they needed a hand!

CG Radar has zones like the Goodwin with alarms that sound to the operator if a vessel is approaching the danger.

We got a nice call from the bridgekeeper at the Havengore as we headed out towards the Thames, advising that we were straying to the NE, where live firing was going on at the time! (It is difficult to discern which of the numerous marker posts are the relevant ones until you're a little further out.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast