Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Essex rivers - best places for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    Our kids are now in their 40s with sprogs of their own. On a recent trip to my son in Queensland, sitting on a tropical beach with palm trees, I heard them comment "do you remember those marvellous holidays at Stone Point and the Rocks?"
    We sailed locally with the children until they were 11 & 7, when we discovered 'abroad'. One of the delights of sailing locally was they they had the chance to make friends, mostly on the beaches. I'm not sure that there are enough young families messing about in small boats for this to be a realistic expectation any more, which is sad. There were few places for shore leave to take in towns and entertainment in the past, at least for prices we were prepared to pay, but I can understand that parents can only stand their children's company for so long, and vice versa, so maybe some of the marina options listed make sense.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Brightlingsea - grade A crabbing spot off the mid-river pontoons, Tollesbury not too bad for crabbing either
    Stone point is a great favourite with our two (8 & 10) enhanced no end by a cheap wetsuit from Decathlon @ £10 per child, + a buoyancy aid if you are so inclined (helps with dinghy play too)

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I'm not sure that there are enough young families messing about in small boats for this to be a realistic expectation any more, which is sad.
    Yes this is certainly my wife's view having been brought up sailing, she thinks there were a lot more families sailing with kids in those days (we were strictly land based when I was a kid so I don't have anything to compare it to). They do bump into other children and make friends, but hard to predict when and where it will happen!

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    Brightlingsea - grade A crabbing spot off the mid-river pontoons, Tollesbury not too bad for crabbing either
    Will definitely give that a shot, our youngest loves crabbing, would do it all day if she could. All good fun until a crab escapes the bucket and goes rogue in the cockpit!

We sailed locally with the children until they were 11 & 7, when we discovered 'abroad'. One of the delights of sailing locally was they they had the chance to make friends, mostly on the beaches. I'm not sure that there are enough young families messing about in small boats for this to be a realistic expectation any more, which is sad. There were few places for shore leave to take in towns and entertainment in the past, at least for prices we were prepared to pay, but I can understand that parents can only stand their children's company for so long, and vice versa, so maybe some of the marina options listed make sense.
    Fair point. We are doing the East Coast circuit this year after an abscence of some years. When our kids were small you had to struggle to find a prime anchoring spot at Stone Point, Rocks, Osea etc., now these places seem to be deserted in the evenings, all boats head off to marinas I assume, and miss the best times.

I'd second all of the ideas above, and add Harwich for crabbing, breakfast from the cafe on the quay and the RNLI museum. Also, it is possible if they don't mind a walk to take the ferry to Felixstowe and walk to the indoor swimming pool, I think it has a wave machine like the Ipswich pool. If you go as far as the Ore, Orford is very nice too - we spent ages stuck there with the kids because of engine problems and weather and there was lots to entertain them.

In exchange - do you have suggestions for good places in Holland with kids? (age 10 and 7). We may head over for a couple of weeks in August. Can you get into Centre Parcs on a day ticket because I don't think that is possible in the British version?

Quote Originally Posted by cnancekievill View Post
    I'd second all of the ideas above, and add Harwich for crabbing, breakfast from the cafe on the quay and the RNLI museum. Also, it is possible if they don't mind a walk to take the ferry to Felixstowe and walk to the indoor swimming pool, I think it has a wave machine like the Ipswich pool. If you go as far as the Ore, Orford is very nice too - we spent ages stuck there with the kids because of engine problems and weather and there was lots to entertain them.

In exchange - do you have suggestions for good places in Holland with kids? (age 10 and 7). We may head over for a couple of weeks in August. Can you get into Centre Parcs on a day ticket because I don't think that is possible in the British version?
    We always enjoyed Orford in the '70s, when we used to anchor in the fairway. I remember carrying our daughter along the road to the village one fine day and her saying to me, out of the blue," Daddy, this is my favourite place in all the world". I'm not sure what the basis for this was but her boy friend knew this story and chose to pop the question at the top of Orford Castle.

Much of the south of Holland is good for children. The Versemeer and Grevelingen are obvious attractions. On each of here there are islands where you can tie up and the children can roam on their own. There are also rubbish collections and loos but you need to get a pass from the nearby towns first. I know a family who used to spend six weeks in the Grevelingen each summer on the same island. Many small towns are attractive to children too, Goes being typical and with a pool. Willemstad and Middleharnis in the Haringvliet are both nice places and there are beaches in the fleet where we have mystified the locals with French cricket.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

We always enjoyed Orford in the '70s, when we used to anchor in the fairway. I remember carrying our daughter along the road to the village one fine day and her saying to me, out of the blue," Daddy, this is my favourite place in all the world". I'm not sure what the basis for this was but her boy friend knew this story and chose to pop the question at the top of Orford Castle.

Much of the south of Holland is good for children. The Versemeer and Grevelingen are obvious attractions. On each of here there are islands where you can tie up and the children can roam on their own. There are also rubbish collections and loos but you need to get a pass from the nearby towns first. I know a family who used to spend six weeks in the Grevelingen each summer on the same island. Many small towns are attractive to children too, Goes being typical and with a pool. Willemstad and Middleharnis in the Haringvliet are both nice places and there are beaches in the fleet where we have mystified the locals with French cricket.
    Thank you, that sounds idyllic. Although I read 'where you can tie up the children and roam on your own' ...

Quote Originally Posted by cnancekievill View Post

The marina at Kortgene in the Veersemeer is excellent with free bike hire. You can ride to the supermarket, next to which is a water slide/ pool. Take plenty of euros. The marina would take a card for €20 but the restaurant would not take any cards for the €150 bill (very nice - six of us). There is also a credit card self-service fuel pump on the outside of the marina.
    Not all who wander are lost

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123