Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Shaft anode fallen off!

Hi folks
    I was just having a look at my rudder there and I noticed my shaft anode has fallen off. I fitted a new one just before the boat was launched in April. There were 2 allen bolts that secured it on. I'm sure it was the right size -1inch - the chap in the chandlery measured the old one.
    What schoolboy error am I likely to have made?
    And should I get someone to dive and fit a new one or is it okay to wait till the boat is lifted in October?
    Thanks

Default Re: Shaft anode fallen off!

If it's actually fallen off, it's because the screws came loose, rather than the size being incorrect.

When I lifted out this year I discovered that my (expensive MG Duff) anode had slid down the shaft to just in front of the P bracket - thankfully I'd stuck a cable tie behind the anode, which had prevented it from bashing off the P bracket. I've replaced it with a cheaper alternative, done up as tight as reasonably possible, and stuck a dab of sealant in all the boltholes to help keep screws in place.

It's your choice whether to fit a new one, is there somewhere local-ish you can dry out and do the job?

Thanks panda
    Here is a photo of it fitted
    It didn't clamp right round the shaft - not sure if that's normal
    I just did the bolts up tight and didn't think too much of it

I'd be keen to fit one if it's going to do damage if I don't - i am not sure how critical another 3 months without it is? I did wonder if i could dive down and do it but i bet it would be tricky and i would probably end up dropping the thing. I'm in Crinan and I don't think there is anywhere to dry out.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

By the way I do have a hull anode - but not sure if that protects the prop shaft/prop or the engine - sorry I'm a bit clueless about these things. Thanks

When fitting, do up the bolts and then use 2 hammers at the same time on opposite sides to tap the halves of the anode together. You will find the bolts will then tighten up some more. Repeat tapping and tightening several times. I've not had one come off yet doing it this way.

Yoda

There are a couple of tricks for bedding the anodes as tightly possible to the shaft while fitting which may help

One is having tightened the bolts as much as possible, hold a heavy object ( very heavy hammer head for example ) against one half and whack the other half with a decent sized hammer then tighten some more and repeat.

The other, just a variation on the first really, which people with good had eye coordination can use, is to swing two hammers the same size at the two halves at the same time.

Thanks guys
    That sounds impossible to do underwater!
    Can anyone comment on whether I can just go with no anode for a few months- how crucial is it to have one- or are there too many variables to say ?
    I'm hoping someone can tell me that I can get away with it for a few months
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    By the way I do have a hull anode - but not sure if that protects the prop shaft/prop or the engine - sorry I'm a bit clueless about these things. Thanks
    A hull anode does not protect the engine .

A saltwater cooled engine or the salt water circuit of a fresh water cooled engine may be protected by an anode or anodes mounted in the salt water circuit. It depends on the engine. See your owners handbook for details and inspect/ change the anodes if fitted as advised .

The coolant circuits of freshwater cooled engines are protected by the inhibitors in the antifreeze, or summer coolant, with which they are usually filled. Maintenance of this protection is one of the reasons for changing the coolant at the recommended intervals .

A hull anode will be bonded electrically to the external fittings which it is to protect. This may be the stern-gear via a connection to the gearbox and bridging of any flexible coupling.
    Last edited by VicS; 22-07-19 at 18:22.

You could get by with a hanging anode electrically connected to the stern gear when the boat isn't in use. Funnily enough I fitted a new anode this year as I've done for the last 15 years or so and this year after about 2 month use it came loose and started hitting the P bracket. I put the wetsuit and mask on and fitted a new one. I was very surprised how much of it had gone. I'm wondering if erosion had caused it to come loose. It's never happened before.

Hi Vic
    My beta 16 has a pencil anode which I changed during the winter. If I understand things correctly it protects the engine whereas the prop shaft anode protect the propeller and shaft

Spyro thanks for the tip about a hanging anode. I wasn't aware of such a thing. I'll get busy researching how to do that as it does sound a good solution in the interim.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast