Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Shaft anode fallen off!

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    Hi Vic
    My beta 16 has a pencil anode which I changed during the winter. If I understand things correctly it protects the engine whereas the prop shaft anode protect the propeller and shaft

Spyro thanks for the tip about a hanging anode. I wasn't aware of such a thing. I'll get busy researching how to do that as it does sound a good solution in the interim.
    The anode in Beta engines is fitted in one of the heat exchanger end caps. It is in the salt water side of the HE and its purpose is to protect that.. (Some engines, notably some of the indirectly cooled Volvo Penta engines, have heat exchangers designed and made of materials which are corrosion resistant and therefore do not have anodes at all)

The coolant which is circulated through the engine itself should be an antifreeze mixture , the inhibitors in which protect the engine, just as the inhibitors in the antifreeze protect your car's cooling system.

Cheers Vic - yes that's right. Engine anode is fine - it's the shaft anode that's my issue

Hi Vic
    My beta 16 has a pencil anode which I changed during the winter. If I understand things correctly it protects the engine whereas the prop shaft anode protect the propeller and shaft

Spyro thanks for the tip about a hanging anode. I wasn't aware of such a thing. I'll get busy researching how to do that as it does sound a good solution in the interim.
    I’ve just googled hanging anode and I’m a bit surprised at the price. I’d be hunting around the yard and making my own.

I always put a jubilee clip on each side of the anode This stops it sliding up and down the shaft if it comes loose. I also have a large G clamp which I use when I am putting it on and a belt of a hammer. I also use a sealant on the threads.

I'd be cautious of overtightening the allen bolts - I've sheared off the head off one that way.

Depending how close your prop is to the transom, you might be able to put a new anode on with the boat afloat. I put one on my Beneteau last summer using a buoyancy aid to keep me afloat whilst I did the whole job just by feel (no goggles or snorkel needed), but my prop is just a few inches from the transom and it was all quite easy. Some threadlock will help stop the nut coming off and falling to the bottom of the sea whist you fiddle around and will also help vibration from loosening it afterwards. My MG Duff anode had a small rubbery flange that works a bit like a nyloc nut and makes the fitting easier but some don't and it's all a bit more fiddly if you're doing it underwater.

I wouldn't leave it without an anode. I bought my boat without one fitted by the previous owner and the prop had de-zincified.

Thanks Benny
    I'll have a look in the morning but I don't think I can reach it - i think I'd have to get someone to dive and do it
    I've been doing some reading about anodes - a lot of people seem to suggest prop anodes don't really do anything. I wonder if there is a way to find out a definitive answer to this?
    I find it quite confusing

Thanks Benny
    I'll have a look in the morning but I don't think I can reach it - i think I'd have to get someone to dive and do it
    I've been doing some reading about anodes - a lot of people seem to suggest prop anodes don't really do anything. I wonder if there is a way to find out a definitive answer to this?
    I find it quite confusing
    I'd speak to MG Duff - I found them really helpful

The anode is placed as close as practice to what it is supposed to protect. The hull anode for this reason is normally close to the prop as path of least resistance is normally the shortest one.
    An anode on the shaft is belt and braces but certainly cheaper than a new prop.
    Mine have always corroded off on the annual spring lift and clean but leaves the shaft clean where it was mounted so would have only gone recently. They do corroded off
    At first I thought it may have come undone so once fitted I give the end of the threads a good bashing to round them off.
    Anode still gone. So have this year fitted 2.
    Having one does seem to slow the erosion of the hull anode.
    If it has come loose and slid back to the P bracket it is often accompanied by a jangling.
    Sitting on the P bracket is not a good idea as it can restrict the water flow through the cutlass bearing.
    If the anode has gone, that is good as it is doing its job
    Last edited by Rocksteadee; 23-07-19 at 08:12. Reason: Typo

I wouldn't expect it to have worn out after 3 months though
    I think it's more likely I didn't fit it correctly ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast