Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Power assisted steering boats.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I think most people would not go out in anything like 3m waves.
    My boat has very light power steering as did my previous boat. Both sterndrive but a shaft drive mbiat may also have power steering.
    Thanks Martyn, I feel happier now , im glad that what i epxerienced isnt the norm.....ONwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tico View Post
    One thing that i've noticed on our RIB (115hp) is that when the engine is fully trimmed in, the steering effort is much increased. If it's trimmed out just a little, the steering is much lighter.
    Seems to be a common note on the RIBNet forum.
    The trim up and down, i still havnt digested properly, but the instructor did mention it, and i though he said if you were going too fast there would be a risk of capsizing, if you trimmed up or down? Cant remember which one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Congrats on your course, this is one I teach and is my favourite of all.
    Presumably the 3m swell was not there for the close quarter work only the fast manoeuvring and maybe navigation.

Yes we did the other stuff in the marina.

Up to about 150 (maybe 200) the steering is generally hydraulic, as previously mentioned, not power assisted steering. At speed with light power assisted in a small light boat can make it very twitchy and dangerous. A heavy boat boat 35+ cruiser will not physically move that quick so light steering works.
    I teach one hand steer, one hand gear. The ladies and kids do struggle with this for the manoeuvring in a confined space so I teach the correct way but as they will go home and do it their way, ie. use both hands, I teach that as well. Only use both hands when in N and move the hand such that neither passes the throttle if it is adjacent to the wheel, a derivation of the feed the wheel we do on a driving test but not at 10 to 2, more like 20 past to 10 past (assuming throttle is at 3 o’clock)
    Would of been much easier to be allowed to use both hands, but he said there was a risk of me catching the throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Would of been much easier to be allowed to use both hands, but he said there was a risk of me catching the throttle?
    There is that risk but after the course you will use both hands so I like to include that to teach the safe way to do it

I am surprised he took you out in those conditions. It would be difficult to learn and concentrate whilst being ill and it becomes a survival exercise not a training one. I get sick if it is anything other than calm but as leisure boating is all about enjoyment and fun we simply stay onshore on those days,

Most small to mid-range boats with an outdrive (as opposed to an outboard engine) have power assisted steering. There is still a cable/control going all the way to the drive but there is a pump and actuator to provide assistance. In practice this makes the steering nice and light. In fact, if the steering feels heavy on a boat like this then it very often means the cable needs replacing as it is corroded internally.

When travelling at speed, the steering becomes heavier, not because of any magic "proportioning" system like cars have but because the water is holding the drive in whatever position you have the steering in plus the prop rotation has an effect. Therefore you will feel it as being heavier the faster you go and more difficult to steer in one direction due to the prop. but you really do not want to be throwing the steering around at great speeds anyway.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Think i'd be a bit concerned about the instructor??
    3m waves for a beginner
    Not communicating about trim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12