Default 20 year old TAMD P63s

Hi

I've been looking at some older (c1997,) c40ft flybridges.

The TAMD P63s seem to generally attract positive comments, if a bit smokey, but many of these comments were for much younger engines.

The sorts of hours are 600 - 1400.

Is buying such an old engine a false economy? Is there anything I should I look out for in particular?

DW
    Last edited by DazzyWoo; 23-07-19 at 17:07.

Default Re: 20 year old TAMD P63s

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyWoo View Post
    Hi

I've been looking at some older (c1997,) c40ft flybridges.

The TAMD P63s seem to generally attract positive comments, if a bit smokey, but many of these comments were for much younger engines.

The sorts of hours are 600 - 1400.

Is buying such an old engine a glass economy? Is there anything I should I look out for in particular?

DW
    OK - older ones. I have the 61a the predecessor. 306hp and I wish I had the 63a as I am a little underpowered when not completely clean.

The hours on mine were unknown when I bought the boat. Col did a full service inc all injectors. Compressions were within 5% of new spec.

Since then I've done another 1800 or so. I've needed 2 alternators and a starter - the latter self inflicted as a wiring fault ran the starter continuously when I was away from the boat. I also needed an exhaust manifold after a sea school ignored an overheat alarm after a fresh water side leak (tank to the header pipe)

I think one injector pump will need rebuilding soon as it has a small oil leak and the 1" long bit of exhaust between the turbo and the injection elbow has a pinhole leak evidenced by some soot - repaired for the season with car exhaust repair bandage.

Even so its good testament to the mechanical 60 series volvos I reckon. Everyone I know with 63s are delighted.

A good friend has a pair in a phantom 38....he has done 30000nm (not a typo)

No issues....bar minor normal stuff.

I too had a pair of 1987 61a’s. New owner did 350 miles in 10 days....9 hours at 20 knots for 1 leg....no issues.

63p's are a great engine. If you look on US based boats sites 1000 hours is nothing to worry about - just about run in
    cooling system is well designed and easy to service
    the early units had an issue with the sea water pumps - I think they fitted a stronger version - so check that out
    the turbos don't last forever and the waste gates can rust shut or open if not looked after or have very little use.

what ever boat you look at check out the access to the starboard seawater pump - on some boats its difficult to get at.

I had 63s in my previous boat, a Phantom 38 and they were generally very reliable. I did encounter the following issues however. An oil line fitting broke loose, the one that feeds the diesel pump. All oil ended up in the bilges but an immediate shut down saved the engine. The gears driving the raw water pumps were also prone to wear. I replaced these twice per engine. A raw water hose ruptured on the pressure side leading to a major leak under way. I understand that these issues are not uncommon for these engines and should still be considered minor and could be prevented with proper maintenance. The engines were a perfect match with the P38 with good power.

Hope they are good as I could be getting a couple in a few weeks

On a customer's boat yesterday, 63's faulthless. The electronics can go wonky, don't kid yourself, but a well kept unit is worth it's weight in gold compared to modern rubbish.

I have had two sets of 63P's, current ones are 2001 so the later versions, 1,150 hours.
    A good reliable mechanical engine.
    Get a good Volvo Penta Engineer who knows these engines well to have a thorough inspection and seatrial before purchase.
    At this age:
    Turbos get worn and exhaust gas leaks in to inlet manifolds gumming them up
    Turbos need replacing
    The bend after turbo rots out and needs replacing
    The water injection bends in exhaust rot out and cause back pressure to cooling, replace
    I replaced all injectors this year
    I have had one cracked exhaust manifold at back near turbo
    I had all coolers dismantled, cleaned out out with Rydlyme and inspected, good condition not too fouled up but I do Rydlyme in situ every couple of years.
    Normally mated to ZF 220A gearboxes, there is a little ball bearing on a spring to locate ahead, neutral and astern on the selection quadrant, this needs to be in good condition and kept greased or it will stick in or out of gear, not expensive , if in doubt replace units and grease. I had a manoeuvring problem, these are expensive so replace ball bearing and spring assembly if required.
    Smokier than modern D series engines, but reliable, give them good attentive regular care, regular full service, replace parts when required and they will look after you.

Thanks all

61 and 63 are amazing things if kept well obviously. Widely used and still used in commercial applications the world over.
    Would be considered heavy and huge displacement compared to the modern of the same power...but likely one of the reasons they are so reliable. Keep an eye out for sw cooling pipework leaking and spraying onto machinery and corroding. Quite common round the reverse gear cooling lines and shaft cooling (if fitted).
    We have had 61s for about 17 years maybe. Only thing thatís failed was an oil pressure sensor or two and the odd weeping injector. The turbo outlet exhaust manifold is sometimes an issue if the stainless outlet it mated to cast dissimilar metal. Failed at the weld twice now on both engines. Good old mineral oil is the key too. We occasionally stick a light dose of 2 stroke in the tanks too. Just to keep a bit of lubrication properties going through the fuel pump and keep the rings good and well lubircated. Keeps the compression strong too. Modern diesel isnít so good at lubrication these days.