Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sonning. Where to eat.

Aware of the Great House and the Bull
    Appears to be a pub on other side of village a bit further out.
    Flowing Spring.
    Any good ?

Who looks after the moorings outside the Great House ?, looks on Google Earth to have been tidied up and more extensive.
    Last edited by oldgit; 23-07-19 at 18:04.

Default Re: Sonning. Where to eat.

There's a run of moorings, including the pontoon directly outside the Great House / Coppa Club - these are owned by the pub and it's free for 24 hours, if you're eating / drinking there. Never a problem for us... They have been tidied up with a small new embankment. Not enough bollards - have pins/mallet at the ready.

The moorings further downstream are still controlled, I believe, by Thames Court (Uri Gellers old place). I think they still ask for a £10 donation for overnighting there, but I've not done that for a long time so may well be out of date. There's normally plenty of space outside Coppa so we use that and have a beer there.

Not been to the Flowing Spring I'm afraid - have heard good things a few years ago.

One other thing we do - sometimes BBQ on the boat/riverbank, whilst fetching cold beers from Coppa outside bar. Best of both worlds

Thanks for that, downloaded the GH menu sems pretty reasonable. Have also contacted UTMYC.

Stayed on the bank outside Uri’s Old place a few times last year. More than happy to stick a tenner in an envelope, through the fence as it’s a good mooring and we’ll kept embankment. I've not had an evening meal there but I can highly recommended breakfast at The Great House.
    We're all in the same boat......some of us have just been aboard a little longer.

Or you could have dinner and theatre at The Mill if Noel Coward is your thing. We did that last year and saw an excellent farce.

Hope to be up at Sonning mid week(ish), before having to turn around.

Correction, FWIW -
    I passed by at the weekend (20/21 July) and noted a plethora of "the dreaded parking company's" signs, all the way downstream from the pub moorings to the end - and beyond of what are generally known as Uri' moorings.
    They wer chocabloc with all manner of boats. I've never seen that many boats there before....

There's no mention on their website (where2moor.co.uk). There is mention of the EA moorings on the upstream side. These were similarly crammed with 'other types of boats'...

Everybody is being a bit tight why not just book the French Horn
    http://www.thefrenchhorn.co.uk/readi...iday-saturday/

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Correction, FWIW -
    I passed by at the weekend (20/21 July) and noted a plethora of "the dreaded parking company's" signs, all the way downstream from the pub moorings to the end - and beyond of what are generally known as Uri' moorings.
    They wer chocabloc with all manner of boats. I've never seen that many boats there before....

There's no mention on their website (where2moor.co.uk). There is mention of the EA moorings on the upstream side. These were similarly crammed with 'other types of boats'...

Have used the EA moorings on the left just above Sonning lock.
    If you are early and get in the middle it seems OK with decent depth , it you are late and forced on the extreme ends of the moorings, the gentle tinkle of prop blade on rocks can be a little worrying.
    Last edited by oldgit; 24-07-19 at 13:38.

Was wondering when someone would mention The French Horn and the Mill Theatre.
    Both high in my estimation.
    French Horn not cheap, but the Mill is a great evening out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast