Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

So we left the UK after much work on the new boat and are now in the (gorgeous) Spanish Rias. Problem is we didn't think too much about our gas regime. Result? Two 7kg Calor Gas butane bottles (25cm x 50cm) with a clip on regulator top that fit snugly into their allocated space in the lazarette. Now they are almost empty.

Can we get them filled in Spain? No, not with these clip on tops. Maybe there's an adaptor we could use? I think not? Can we fit a Spanish bottle into the space? No. Would we rather have propane? Yes, preferably.

What to do! We're flying back to the UK for a few weeks in August but then we really will need to find a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    John (S/Y Mehalah)

Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

There will be other UK boats in the rias. They're very likely to be friendly. Ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Petronella View Post

Any ideas?
    Set of these will let you borrow a local bottle & decant into yours. Outside of course
    https://www.socal.co.uk/p/4018/cylin...re-adaptor-kit

Or might well be a local fill anything place hidden somewhere away filling up the motor home crowd.

Repsol do 6kg (and 12-13kg) bottles, you normally need Spanish address to get one initially, then it's just swap at any Repsol station. In some marina's I've been in, there's usually a guy who can get you one.

Otherwise it's expensive Campingaz for you.

You have two option
    One is buy a set of adapters and keep decanting has GHA said , in that way keeping your bottles but it does mean find a dealer who will let you taken a local bottle away you would probably have to pay a deposit .
    The other way is change then and buy camping Gaz bottles where you can get them refilled almost any where .
    By thre are. Smaller bottles and can cost more to refill .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    but it does mean find a dealer who will let you taken a local bottle away you would probably have to pay a deposit .
    Nah.....
    No point trying to guess the future in too much detail when cruising, things always find a way of sorting themselves out - just ask around and someone will have a spare bottle you can borrow or the happy hour bar will help, something always comes along - just have a little faith it will be ok and good chance of some fun or meeting interesting people along the way

One of the lessons of cruising, you've no idea what's going to happen but it's usually OK .

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Nah.....
    No point trying to guess the future in too much detail when cruising, things always find a way of sorting themselves out - just ask around and someone will have a spare bottle you can borrow or the happy hour bar will help, something always comes along - just have a little faith it will be ok and good chance of some fun or meeting interesting people along the way

One of the lessons of cruising, you've no idea what's going to happen but it's usually OK .
    Your right there , guessing the future is a no brainier , see what each day bring as the morning sun rises up .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Repsol do 6kg (and 12-13kg) bottles, you normally need Spanish address to get one initially, then it's just swap at any Repsol station. In some marina's I've been in, there's usually a guy who can get you one.

Otherwise it's expensive Campingaz for you.
    The Repsol bottles are a bit wider than 7.5kg calor bottles. I have just the same problem and the Repsol bottle won't fit my made-to-measure gas lockers. 😕
    I had my Calor bottles exchanged in Andalucia, but haven't found anyone doing it further east in Spain. And DIY refilling is a bit too underground for people to tell passing yachties like me, being illegal and all.
    Didn't have the problem when we was in Galicia, so can't help the OP. Umm, eat out more and hurry down to Gibraltar-Malaga area where you can get them refilled, sorry, exchanged.

Gone Sailing -on the move exploring SE Asia

You can fill them yourself or usually find someone who will. When in Spain I took my calor bottles to the refilling plant and they refilled them there.

Try these guys for adaptor kits

https://www.whayward.shop/

We just changed to Camping Gaz, fit the locker OK, a bit more expensive/kg but available virtually everywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast