Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Med
    Posts
    6,207

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    We just changed to Camping Gaz, fit the locker OK, a bit more expensive/kg but available virtually everywhere.
    Only thing I would say about Camping Gaz , if the op heading for Greece , be perpaired to lose your nice bottles for some old rusty once
    So if you get approach by someone asking you to exchange your nice blue bottle for a green , dark blue, orange , do the guy a farour and exchange your one with his , your going to lose them any way .

    Bit more info tho of us finding ourself in the position to leaving Greece with old rusty bottles , buy a can of blue spray paint , then find an old lady in an Italian shop and exchanged them for nice new once , if you can find a camping Gaz label to stick on all the better .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 25-07-19 at 16:01.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Can get them refilled in A Coruna. Club Nautico marina office has details. Cheap too!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    We just changed to Camping Gaz, fit the locker OK, a bit more expensive/kg but available virtually everywhere.
    Thats just what we did. Getting my existing bottles refilled is fine when I'm staying in one place, have access to a car, etc. It doesn't work for our three days and move on cruising style.
    Pain in the proverbial that the Campingaz bottle is likely to last a month instead of three with the 7.5kilo Calor. But worth it to not get hung up waiting on shoreside services.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    Can get them refilled in A Coruna. Club Nautico marina office has details. Cheap too!
    Yep, No 6 bus, IIRC, from outside marina to here where Calor are refilled.
    Estrada Fisterra
    Estrada Fisterra, 15008 A Coruña, Spain
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/rMG6mezZCXu3fYcG9
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait
    Posts
    21,974

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by differentroads View Post
    Thats just what we did. Getting my existing bottles refilled is fine when I'm staying in one place, have access to a car, etc. It doesn't work for our three days and move on cruising style.
    Pain in the proverbial that the Campingaz bottle is likely to last a month instead of three with the 7.5kilo Calor. But worth it to not get hung up waiting on shoreside services.
    Yes, same here. Camping Gaz, or something else in the same bottles, is available easily from one end of the Mediterranean to the other. Greece, awkward as ever, now has Petrogas bottles, same shape and fitting as the Camping Gaz bottle but a darker shade of blue and sometimes with an embossed name on the top. Outlets will occasionally refuse to exchange pale blue CG bottles for the Petrogas ones but aerosol paint is quite cheap and the colour seems to be sufficient for them to accept them. Many outlets will not accept rusty bottles but a rub over with emery paper and a quick spray usually solves this problem. Many petrol stations will refill your own bottles at about half the price of exchanging them at supermarkets and the like.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Med
    Posts
    6,207

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Yes, same here. Camping Gaz, or something else in the same bottles, is available easily from one end of the Mediterranean to the other. Greece, awkward as ever, now has Petrogas bottles, same shape and fitting as the Camping Gaz bottle but a darker shade of blue and sometimes with an embossed name on the top. Outlets will occasionally refuse to exchange pale blue CG bottles for the Petrogas ones but aerosol paint is quite cheap and the colour seems to be sufficient for them to accept them. Many outlets will not accept rusty bottles but a rub over with emery paper and a quick spray usually solves this problem. Many petrol stations will refill your own bottles at about half the price of exchanging them at supermarkets and the like.
    We got rid of a Petrogas one to day , the guy in the marina gave us a funny look but when he sew the camping Gaz sticker I stuck on he just replaced it , although it did coat us €25 in France , but at less I got a nice bottle , only one left to exchange .
    Another spray job to morrow .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Thanks guys for all the useful information. We're headed west rather than east so I think my best bet is a full adaptor set with a connecting hose. That way I should be able to find a filling man down a backstreet every six months or so. There is one for example in Cangas in the next ria down from us but he just doesn't have the right adaptor.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    9,636

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Petronella View Post
    Thanks guys for all the useful information. We're headed west rather than east so I think my best bet is a full adaptor set with a connecting hose. That way I should be able to find a filling man down a backstreet every six months or so. There is one for example in Cangas in the next ria down from us but he just doesn't have the right adaptor.
    Least with a set of adaptors you can use any bottles so covered even if the only option is expensive camping gas.
    In the algarve there is a place outside Olhao who reckons he can fill anything, costs about €20 for a 10kg bottle.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    Depending on how far west you are going, this will be a repeated problem, particularly in countries with strongly applied regulations (eg US and Oz).
    Many smaller places eg Carribean Islands will fill anything. We ended up buying larger cylinder which had to be secured on deck, and relying on taking it local filling stations, who generally supplied propane. One advantage of the larger cylinder (with a small reserve) is that it may last 3 months or so.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lymington/West Indies
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

    A few years ago I was in Ayamonte and took my calor bottles to a petrol station which sold autogas. It was a hot day and a long cycle ride, but they had the adaptor for the bottles and filled them there on the forecourt from the gas pump.

    6 months previously in Sicily I bought a largish local bottle (€18 deposit) plus regulator and hooked it up as the locals did, with rubber pipe and jubilee clip.

    Today I'm in Niue (200 mls east of Tonga) trying to get Calor bottles filled - and my luck's not in. I can't even buy a local empty bottle (the monthly ship came in from New Zealand on Thursday and the hardware store hasn't yet unpacked their container on account of all the rain :-( )

    I'm writing this because there's too much rain to do any repairs - and it's the dry season! Such are the joys of cruising. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to