Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I love Brittany.

Avoiding the 41-42 forecast for today in the Paris area I am down on the boat in a light breeze, cloudless 25. Coffee and fresh orange juice on the shaded terrace of a restaurant. Watching the world and the boats go by.

I then visited the Capitainerie to see where the nearest post box was. It’s up in the village. Give it to me; I have my car here and it won’t take a moment....*

Btw it was 26.4c at the coolest moment last night in Paris - again a record.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 25-07-19 at 11:31.

Default Re: I love Brittany.

I will be joining you in two days, a mixed blessing we will be staying with the outlaws but I get to get away for 3 days to England at the end of next week.
    A few days golf and the same on the bike in sensible temperatures.

Just don't go to Binic when the Rock festival is on as they throw rocks at boats I'm told by a mobo from Guernsey . Otherwise the weather is lovely and marina staff generally very helpful with morning bread and hire bikes etc .

So do I but it was b....... hot in Vannes at the end of June.

Sailing in France knocks spots off the Uk. It certainly spoils you over here. Ive not been here for a couple of years and did wonder why I would want to sail at home at all.
    Next year were re locating to Brittany.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Sailing in France knocks spots off the Uk. It certainly spoils you over here. Ive not been here for a couple of years and did wonder why I would want to sail at home at all.
    Next year were re locating to Brittany.
    5 very happy years in Brittany during which we experimented with returning the boat to the UK, an experiment which lasted 1 month. That said, I think maybe N Spain trumps Brittany due to milder winters and ease of air travel from UK. It might just be the novelty value, though.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    5 very happy years in Brittany during which we experimented with returning the boat to the UK, an experiment which lasted 1 month. That said, I think maybe N Spain trumps Brittany due to milder winters and ease of air travel from UK. It might just be the novelty value, though.
    Please elaborate as its good to get opinions on areas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Please elaborate as it’s good to get opinions on areas etc.
    S Brittany pros: Glorious summers, a wide range options from remote island anchorages to medeval city centres, excellent service and maintenance facilities, the best value marina package I know of by far, great food.
    Cons: Hard to get to without driving from UK, Winter is like a UK winter, ram packed marinas in July and August especially when rallies are in town.
    For me the main reason to move on was having been pretty well everywhere within a month's sail though I don't regret a moment of my time there and may well return.
    N Spain can be wetter than Brittany but is warmer all year around and can be reached by air easily and cheaply. Eating out, drinking out and shopping is much cheaper, especially W of Bilbao. Ancorages in the rias are abundant and well sheltered.
    Both are, IMO, excellent sailing venues IF you can sail regularly for a week or more at a time: weekend trips are not really viable.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    S Brittany pros: Glorious summers, a wide range options from remote island anchorages to medeval city centres, excellent service and maintenance facilities, the best value marina package I know of by far, great food.
    Cons: Hard to get to without driving from UK, Winter is like a UK winter, ram packed marinas in July and August especially when rallies are in town.
    For me the main reason to move on was having been pretty well everywhere within a month's sail though I don't regret a moment of my time there and may well return.
    N Spain can be wetter than Brittany but is warmer all year around and can be reached by air easily and cheaply. Eating out, drinking out and shopping is much cheaper, especially W of Bilbao. Ancorages in the rias are abundant and well sheltered.
    Both are, IMO, excellent sailing venues IF you can sail regularly for a week or more at a time: weekend trips are not really viable.
    Thanks for the input. Three day sail from Brittany when we seek other pastures new.

Moved my boat from Cowes to Quiberon this year.
    Don't understand why I didn't do it sooner, absolutely fabulous place to sail and just to be, easy day sail to Ile d'yeu and many, many other lovely places. My boat is out of the water for August to avoid the crowds but it'll be back in and we'll be back down first week of September. Just got back from antifouling and the Quiberon sardine festival !
    Leave Cowes 0600, get to boat by car around 1700 including two ferries, bike is a little quicker
    Do it !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast