Question Mooring Maps/Guides/Keys for a fledgling

Good morning all,

This site and forum looks like a great resource, I'm glad I found it.

tl;dr I'd love some advice on longer term moorings (two weeks), if you'd expect to have to pay mooring every single night (if not, where are free for say 48 hours), how often you move your boat, commuting to Reading...the list goes on!

So quick backstory:
    Have been renting a 40ft trad narrow boat from a friend since last August and it's been moored up at a boat yard up until weekend just gone. The boat was moored there for approx four years and was virtually static, shore powered in (the lot.)

Due to some unfortunate circumstances we've had to move and get the boat cruising with about 24 hours notice. We just about managed to get off shore-power (now wondering what to do with a 240v fridge!) and thank every river god known the engine actually worked enough to get us outta there (besides the five blown fuses attempting to do so!)

So the great news is our little Callaigh (I say ours as we're paying her off over 2 years via a rent-to-buy type thing) is out and about.
    The bad news is...I don't know where to go! I was planning on having six more months of prep including mapping out routes, determining mooring stops etc.

We were in Caversham and as we have a EA reg we pootled down towards Sonning, stayed just before the lock for 24 hours, passed through the lock yesterday and have moored up just passed the Coppa club.

side note, there is a DE sign stating £10pn or £100fine, ten feet away there is a private landlord sign stating £10pn; where would you say the dividing boundary is? I'm struggling to identify the boundaries

Without going to far out from Reading (I cycle to work based in Whitley [Yes K&A would be closer but we need to sort the license] where would you recommend we can moore for a a couple of days to get our breath back. We actually need an engineer to come and review some wires as our fuse keeps blowing and our 12v has stopped working (everything ie bilge/solar etc is fine.) so ideally want to stop somewhere for a few days to plan it but without paying £40 for the pleasure! Is that possible?!

I'd appreciate any and all feedback, and if anyone happens to be Readingish I'd be happy to meet for a drink (I'll buy) to pick your brains!

Thanks all,
    Red

Default Re: Mooring Maps/Guides/Keys for a fledgling

There is very little free mooring on the Thames. Re the mooring that you're on in Sonning it's £10 per day and you can ignore the District Enforcement signs. If you phoned the number you will see that it's the same one on both signs.
    The K&A canal is an option but would require you to buy a licence from Canal and River Trust which would allow you to stay put for 14 days at a time and then move on. They take a very dim view of boat rentals and have all sorts of rules about such an arrangement as, often, such boats are not fit for purpose and are often unsafe.
    You sound very unprepared.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Can't believe I'm saying this! But if you go a few hundred metres downsteam from the Sonning moorings you can moor for free on the left in the trees for as long as you like, plenty of others there doing the same.
    But better still find a permanent mooring ASAP please

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_d View Post
    Can't believe I'm saying this! But if you go a few hundred metres downsteam from the Sonning moorings you can moor for free on the left in the trees for as long as you like, plenty of others there doing the same.
    But better still find a permanent mooring ASAP please
    Thanks Chris, we have successfully sussed this out now, and have met some lovely neighbours; we're intending on staying for a few weeks until we can get our 12v looked at.

We are in search of a perm mooring, preferably private land rather than a company; can you recommend any sites/publications etc. that advertise availability? We're going to go 'door to door' with an intro letter to see if we can find a nice farmer, but can always do with more pointers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Red View Post
    Thanks Chris, we have successfully sussed this out now, and have met some lovely neighbours; we're intending on staying for a few weeks until we can get our 12v looked at.

We are in search of a perm mooring, preferably private land rather than a company; can you recommend any sites/publications etc. that advertise availability? We're going to go 'door to door' with an intro letter to see if we can find a nice farmer, but can always do with more pointers!
    Try SRB Moorings at Fawley, Steve Ryan Bell lives on a barge on Fawley Meadows and controls the moorings there and further down at Medmenham, there are some livaboards there. He should be able to help and advise.