Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Default Re: Anyone use Weather HQ website?

Quote Originally Posted by XDC View Post
    Here
    Can you post a URL? not just a screen grab.

When I pan and zoom with the map is shows Lossiemouth and Kinloss, but not Inverness.

Sorry Dave, it’s the app.

Just download it, type in the airport,

Currently 6 knots ENE. 17 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post

When I pan and zoom with the map is shows Lossiemouth and Kinloss, but not Inverness.
    Here's the URL... https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/inverness

Looks like they don't get much wind up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post

Another source.....
    https://www.windy.com/station/ad-EGPE?57.542,-4.048,8

Back to the OP. It really all depends on what you want, how you want it and why you want it.

The Norwegian and Finnish Met services are good organisations. They use models such as HIRLAM based on output initially from ECMWF. Like most national weather services, as opposed to private services, they will have as good an initial data analysis as is possible. They will not be markedly better or worse than forecasts based on the US GFS or the DWD ICON. However much detail a forecast is claimed to provide, there are limitations on predictability. Simply, small detail on a size scale around 30km will not be predictable useful for us. By the time you get a forecast based on, say 00 UTC, several hours will have passed and detail of such sizes will be at or near the end of their life. Computers cannot predict, deterministically, the formation of such features.

I use this quite often
    Not weather forecasts but I find it useful
    http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map

What you have to remember is that all these services are based, ultimately, on one or another of the GFS or, occasionally, ICON. The presentation varies, of course. They may use different algorithms to derive weather and other information. The forecasts can be no better than the original.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Sorry the thread was not about weather forecasts but a tool to look at actual current weather and historical weather from weather stations.

Checkwx.com is the one I have settled on using as it dies everything I want and is presented well.

Quote Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
    What you have to remember is that all these services are based, ultimately, on one or another of the GFS or, occasionally, ICON. The presentation varies, of course. They may use different algorithms to derive weather and other information. The forecasts can be no better than the original.
    Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about weather forecasting...

That seems a strange claim. If 'They may use different algorithms to derive weather and other information' surely that implies that some forecasts may be better than others. If, for example, those algorithms added knowledge of local effects to the basic information/forcast then there is the possibility that the new forecast will be better than the original.
    Do you not consider it possible for a 'human' forecaster to improve on the original data? Are you not ruling yourself out of a job?

Quote Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
    Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about weather forecasting...

That seems a strange claim. If 'They may use different algorithms to derive weather and other information' surely that implies that some forecasts may be better than others. If, for example, those algorithms added knowledge of local effects to the basic information/forcast then there is the possibility that the new forecast will be better than the original.
    Do you not consider it possible for a 'human' forecaster to improve on the original data? Are you not ruling yourself out of a job?
    If the algorithms were for a specific area or location there would be something in what you say. That is not the case as far as I know. Search for “Why are all my weather apps different?” - a Guardian article. There is no perfect algorithm any more than there is a perfect weather model. There is so much local effect on weather and so much variation, signal noise, in the weather that any algorithm is going to be hit and miss as far as detail is concerned. They are often good on the general pattern but rarely on detail. The strong winds currently battering us ner Lorient were forecast a week ago. The gale force winds predicted 24 hours ago are subsiding quicker than expected.

Not only are there variations in models but, also, variations in how forecasts are presented. MeteoConsult, for example, takes the GFS and produces an average for an area. The GRIB output from which they are derived gives values at specific grid points. Some apps will interpolate between grid points points.

Whatever app is used the accuracy of a forecast comes down to the NWP models used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast