Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Escaping the Sharpness Gloucester Canal

There's a thread elsewhere about 'UK Harbours Difficult To Sail Into' or summat.

This sounds like a Podium contender......

With the current fun with my engine, the trip will possibly be under sail!

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...uoyyJa36gZm.99

That should make an interesting trip if there is little or no wind! Is the vessel too large to have an inflatable lashed alongside with an outboard running ?

Made it! Very helpful staff at Sharpness. A large ketch, an immense power boat and me locked out together. The power boat wanted to leave early, so we were dropped down to tide level. I moored to the pontoon in the basin, the ketch departed upstream intending to turn and take the ebb down to Cardiff and the power boat(!). Started the engines in the lock with an ear-splitting roar and departed in a could of smoke.

I left the lock 15 minutes before high water and headed straight across. That water is turbulent!

I arrived at Lydney harbour entrance 20 minutes later and there was still flood tide across the basin mouth. Locked in successfully and broke out the champagne!

Dave commented that, despite an enormous roar and clouds of smoke, the power boat could only just stem the tide. I wish I had noted her name. They were bound for Swansea.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Glad it went OK. Prudence and planning as ever better gives a better result than mindless power and gung ho attitude.
    A boat is for going places

If you have Champagne on board ! May well pay you a visit!

what was the conclusion of the engine problem ??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bristoljim View Post
    what was the conclusion of the engine problem ??

Jim
    If you mean the conclusion of the engine problems, I'm still waiting!

It was/is an interesting saga.

There were two real problems. The first was air in the fuel line which persists but has been circumvented.

The second was the failure of the engine to rev. When I returned the injector pump spill line to free outlet (a jar and then the tank), the engine revved more freely although still not fast enough. The normal return for that line was to the engine mounted fuel filter. It has four ports, two in and two out. The spill line was connected to the spare "in". That didn't make sense to me.

The spill line from the injectors is connected to a banjo bolt which has a though drilling. I.e., it goes in one side and straight out of the other. The securing bolt was blind. At least I thought it was but comparing with my spare engine, it should have had through drilling. That was obscured by historical rust pitting. Once cleaned, one of the pits was bang in the middle. I opened it to around half a millimetre and lo and behold the outlet from said banjo produced a fair flow of fuel when the pump spill line was connected to the spare inlet.

Coincidentally, or maybe intentionally, mixed with that discharge were some bubbles. I guess the air bubbles in incoming fuel rise to the top of the filter and out through the banjo bolt connector "encouraged" by the pump spill.

I still only achieve about 3.5 knots.

I know the engine is light on compression. I know the boat is a couple of tons overweight as the ballast was increased to counter a taller mast and I know there is a lot of over-engineering in the fittings. The prop is, I think, "equipoise" with asymmetrical blades (a contradiction in terms?!). The calculations I used referred to a traditional shape.

I have a smaller blade which is handed the correct way. (The existing blade requires "astern" to go ahead although the gear box ratios are very similar in both directions).

Perhaps I'll swap the props but I've played enough under water this year thank you!

The other alternative is to have the spare engine, which needs rebuilding including liners, taken out to 1800 (from the existing 1500).

Bearing in mind the increased displacement, that may be the way to go. I need to check if the injector pump is adequate and that the valves suit.

P.S. A few hundred yards off the harbour entrance, the engine stuttered and slowed down briefly. I wonder if there are some outlying rocks with an abundance of weed. The depth still showed nine metres and the chart shows no bottom detail.
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 03-09-19 at 09:32.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

A standard 1.5 should be quite adequate for your boat when running normally ,a friend has a 40 ft heavy steel boat with one with a 17" 2 blade prop.We did Neath to Newlyn at 5 knots with the engine at comfortable RPM .
    Are you going to try the other pump ?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bristoljim View Post
    A standard 1.5 should be quite adequate for your boat when running normally ,a friend has a 40 ft heavy steel boat with one with a 17" 2 blade prop.We did Neath to Newlyn at 5 knots with the engine at comfortable RPM .
    Are you going to try the other pump ?
    Jim
    The spare? That is an unknown quantity whereas the current one has been rebuilt and tested professionally.

I just want to play for a bit now!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12