Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Escaping the Sharpness Gloucester Canal

I have a berth waiting for my vessel at Lydney. For the last many months, that harbour has been closed. It is now open.

I understand that the entry window is "rather narrow" i.e. plus or minus ten minutes of high water.

Exit from Sharpness is around high water. The sums look dodgy.

What do forumites recommend or am I worrying too much?
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 26-07-19 at 07:45.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Default Re: Escaping the Sharpness Gloucester Canal

I think that there is a bit more room than that; I suggest that you get in touch with the Lydney Yach Club for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    I think that there is a bit more room than that; I suggest that you get in touch with the Lydney Yach Club for more info.
    That is what their advice was. Don't really want to do a two tides trip.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Canal boats used to do the "Dash" from Sharpness to Lydney without drama! pushed upriver a bit then fought their way over to Lydnry! Mind you, on arrival in the dock they were keen to rush up the stairs to the bar in the clubhouse and down a brandy! The rest of the evening discussing with anyone who would listen about the epic crossing!

The Birmingham Navy!
    Crossing the tidal waters entitled them to fly the Red Ensign and join the fleet known as the above!
    Last edited by TOKOLOSHI; 26-07-19 at 10:25.

The guy you need is Dave Penfold, I'm too drunk to look for his number but a little bit of research will find him. Look for the stuff about the lock gates being sorted. Dave will sort you out.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

there is plenty of time as sharpness will have you locked down in the outer basin well before hw., can be regularly as much as an hour.
    something worth knowing is there is a back eddy close inshore on the upstream side of lydney.

when you leave sharpness head to the right of lydney then work along the shore, when off the stone peir, dont be concerned the tide flows v fast, just stay there till it slackens a bit then work ovet towards the lock gates but stay down stream of them, dropping back into the calm, no stream bit nearer the gate end. Dont rush in too early, and make it difficult for your self.

was last docked in lydney a couple of years ago, in 16 x 4.4 x2 mtr draft heavy displacement motor yacht. and had to wiggle through the silted outer gate.

When safely inside, just be aware in days of old , a tug and lighters used the dock . now that would be fun !
    David

What David said..
    You'll have loads of time, it's probs a mile at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    The guy you need is Dave Penfold, I'm too drunk to look for his number but a little bit of research will find him. Look for the stuff about the lock gates being sorted. Dave will sort you out.
    Allan
    I know Dave well and I was present when the works started on the flood gate. (See my other post re "Sydney"!)

With the current fun with my engine, the trip will possibly be under sail!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

As a some time trot holder on Lydney foreshore I can confirm that tidal slack is 20 minutes. Fortunately there is a back eddy just upstream of the pier so plenty of time to get fenders and ropes out and converse with any helpers on the shore and one can then power round the Pierhead keeping close in.

I wouldn't fancy it under sail but they used to manage in the old days, ok if you are dead in line with gates and moving fast, but any error or drop in speed will see you swept back down channel. I guess the alternative is pick a neap tide, go into back eddy and throw lines ashore and warp round.
    A boat is for going places

After refurbing a Luke 5tonner in the yard at LYC, willing hands warped her from a trailer on the slip round into the dock on a late night HW tide,many years ago!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast