Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Met Forecasts, Thunder and Lightnng.

I write this on the E Coast as the sky has turned grey, not too distant thunder is rumbling and the wind is gusting around in circles with ever brighter lightning in the S and SW
    Just two hours ago on a sweltering blue-sky afternoon I was discussing tonight's weather with friends in the pub and the BBC in particular was showing no sign of thunder and 4-6% of rain through the night. Despite that everyone thought it would thunder tonight.

Two nights ago the situation was the same, late afternoon and throughout the evening low single figure % of thunder predicted - even at midnight when I checked even as the horizon was flashing visibly and we got into the biggest and best display I think I've ever been privileged to witness. 4-6%.

How is it so hard to predict something as significant as this? Surely the levels of instability in the atmosphere required to produce the awesome displays earlier in the week are easy enough to see and predict?
    How do they get it so wrong so often and so consistently?

Edit, twenty minutes later; now I'm sitting outside watching the display with https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=...l=6;dc=0;ts=0; on my laptop, watching the lightning and seeing the laptop record each bolt and display the sonic thunder-front as it propagates outwards and count the 2.5 second system delay to identify the sound as it arrives and connact it with the bolt observed for real and on the laptop.
    This is awesome stuff!

Edit. An hour and a half later the best part of E Anglia is under a mass of thunderstorms and the best the BBC haas managed is a change- from clear skies to heavy showers, no mention of the belt-fed thunder and continuous heavy rain we've had for the last couple of hours.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 25-07-19 at 21:15.

Default Re: Met Forecasts, Thunder and Lightnng.

BBC Weather has had Weather Warnings on its website for many days now. I find it quite accurate in its predictions. I was on the boat on the east coast on Tuesday night and the predicted thunderstorm certainly hit.

That's right. Yellow weather warnings of rain with a full sun pictogram with a max 3-6% of rain throughout the day. It doesn't add up does it?
    Then another day they pictogram is cloud, half sun and a raindrop again with 3-6% chance of rain but no a single raindrop shown in the hour by hour analysis. In both cases the description is warm and sunny...

How???

Are they employing dear old Al Sleet to do the forecast perhaps?
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 25-07-19 at 20:50.

I wonder whether you're bothering to click on the big black bar on the BBC Weather website which says "Weather warnings issued"? If you do, it tells you the risk of adverse weather. If you just look at the little raindrop symbols you won't learn much.

My thermometer went to 35 degrees this afternoon. Do I really need a weather forecast to tell me to expect a thunderstorm?

The hail was so severe that it set off the alarm in my car twice.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Meteorologist is somebody who can explain scientifically why yesterday's forecast didn't come true.

Unfortunately although we heard thunder the storms missed London and so it's still over 30 degrees here and exceptionally humd after the little splattering of rain we did get.
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

I think thunderstorms are notoriously hard to predict. When I watch the weather radar in our neck of the woods they appear out of the blue and then disappear.

Maybe this weather site could help? (If you are not already using it)
    http://www.myweather2.com/

The Met Office no longer supplies the BBC with weather!

I recently came across: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_light...aps.php?map=10

Realtime display of lightning strikes. It was extraordinary to watch it after returning from t'pub on Thursday night.

It is a stunning example of what's best on the web: a set of amateur lightning detectors, some very clever software on a server, and there it all is on the screen with a delay of about 8 seconds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast