Thread: Thunderstorms

Default Thunderstorms

So was anyone else on there boat on the east coast last night? We were at SYH on our swinging mooring and boy was it swinging. Fantastic storm but pretty scary. I am told a yacht was struck on the far side of the river.
    Anyone get any pictures. My camera was flat can you believe?

Default Re: Thunderstorms

I have a photo of the hail on my car, but it is not that exciting to be honest. The lightning on Tuesday was more impressive where I was at Tirchmarsh. I counted one strike about every three seconds, which is pretty remarkable.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

We had a biggie in Bedfordshire on Tuesday too but I was in my house surrounded by bricks it was a little different out in the river surrounded by fiberglass. Very spectacular. Even when it did not hit the ground it spread right across the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Denek View Post
    We had a biggie in Bedfordshire on Tuesday too but I was in my house surrounded by bricks it was a little different out in the river surrounded by fiberglass. Very spectacular. Even when it did not hit the ground it spread right across the sky.
    I was in Nieuwpoort. About an inch of rain, spectacular thunder and lightning and tonnes of wind. But took the temperature from 38c to 22c which was a great relief.
    Last edited by Gitane; 28-07-19 at 07:50.

I was in Brighton for the Tuesday storm and Ramsgate for the Thursday storm very spectacular lightning with some very close strikes at Ramsgate. Decided not to sit close to the chainplates
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

I've got a few pics from a wind farm and boy were they striking!
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

I spent that Thursday evening on a mooring at Methersgate Quay in the Drascombe. Interesting. The pictures don't do it justice as the storm approached.Drascombe storm2.jpgDrascombe storm.jpg

I was anchored around the beginning of Long Reach on the Alde on the night of the 25th. There was a very ominous sky, followed by a building thunderstorm, there didn't seem to be any lightning strikes too close [fortunately] but the leading edge of the squall built up to a wind speed of 42 knots at the peak. Which seemed quite dramatic at the time!

The next morning I had to take a line from the anchor rode to the sheet winch to break the anchor out. Quite reassuring really.

The boat is a Parker 275, the anchor a Fortress FX11 with 8mm chain - the water depth was only 2-3m and I had 15+m of rode out.