Default Imray C30 chart...

Bought new C30 before our trip to Holland but just found that all the useful info on the reverse is no longer there - why?? Fortunately found the previous copy on board which has the info. Question - to settle an argument, on our return from Breskens to Ostende, to get best advantage from the tide do we leave at LW Breskens or HW Breskens?

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: Imray C30 chart...

No idea about the tidal question but I'm not a fan of the new Imray format with the chart being contained in the folded bit of cardboard like paper which has the list of symbols, tidal information, etc on it.
    Substance over style

The strongest stream will be near Breskens, so leaving on the turn of HW will be best for that end. I don't have tables to hand but I think that the change of stream is actually an hour or two after HW. One the other hand, if you have tidal constraints at this end of the journey, you might do better to work back from there and include your expected sailing time. I have to do this for the Backwaters and avoid arriving at LW.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I would leave two hours after HW. The ebb will take you almost to Zeebrugge.
    Not all who wander are lost

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    Bought new C30 before our trip to Holland but just found that all the useful info on the reverse is no longer there - why?? Fortunately found the previous copy on board which has the info. Question - to settle an argument, on our return from Breskens to Ostende, to get best advantage from the tide do we leave at LW Breskens or HW Breskens?
    Again, I don't have the information to hand, but pretty sure we left Breskens around HW and had a very fast trip to Oostende hitting 10kts SOG back in May. Something to be aware of, we left Oostende the following day for Gravelines and decided to go offshore to avoid the sand banks off Dunkirk. We ended up straying into a milatary firing range West of Oostende. My boat name is Jeddo and we kept hearing Yeddo on the radio and commented how similar it was. Eventually a different voice came on the radio calling Jeddo, to which we replied and were informed that we were in a live firing range and given a course of 300 degrees to safely exit the area. I have AIS, but it didn't click that a J is pronounced as a Y in Belgium. We apologised and steered 300 degrees. Whithin about 30 mins we were called back to say firing was finished for the day and thanked for our cooperation. It was completely unmarked on the C30 chart. We did find a note number on the Garmin chart plotter that when we searched through the lists of notes it said milatary practice area.
    Last edited by FulmarJeddo; 28-07-19 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    No idea about the tidal question but I'm not a fan of the new Imray format with the chart being contained in the folded bit of cardboard like paper which has the list of symbols, tidal information, etc on it.
    Do give the feedback to Imray! They need to know if changes they make are not for the better.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Dick beat me to it. Tell them: they will want to know.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com