Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: River Hamble Break Ins

We were boarded by would-be robbers, at 0100, in a marina..the RNSYC in Ostende! Both 'gentlemen' suffered minor injuries and subsequent arrest.
    A satisfying conclusion!

(The HM, a well known character and ex-Dock Police, said 'you should have killed them!', hopefully not meaning it literally..)

I have just heard the boat on the mooring behind mine has had her outboard stolen - despite two good locks.

I haven't been able to get to my boat ( which has a stowed engine ) for a while due to Mums' illness and passing but will have to check the boat ASAP.

The stolen engine was transom mounted so always tempting to lowlife, but what's the betting it's the same ( possibly Eastern Euopean as in the past ) gang - in which case anyone in Chichester Harbour then to the east to Dover, look out.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

It’s been reported on local radio that a number of boats in Salcombe were removed from their moorings early Sunday morning and their engines stolen. They were then left to drift free.
    The bastards are everywhere.

I always lock my mooring since I heard of yobs setting boats adrift at Southampton - it wouldn't stop a pro intent on destruction, I don't think any lock will now there are cordless angle grinders - all one can hope for is to put off yobs - the deep dangerous mud at my moorings usually does this - after that I'm afraid it's insurance.

I remember a Mike Peyton cartoon of a footpad - operated crossbow facing the main hatch, but I'd be far more likely to forget then get it...

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    The bastards are everywhere.
    Fortunately, not quite everywhere yet. Most people don't bother with outboard engine locks in the midge infested bit of the realm, me included. Here's an example, a very stealable brand new Yam 9.9, first boat at the bottom of the bridge to the pontoons, no 24 hour staff, no gate on the pontoons, no-one around at night, but there it sits without problem. I won't say exactly where as the scrotes might drive up & have a field day, but then getting off islands by the ferry in their white van will put them at more risk of getting caught.

I'm not gloating over the difference, I sympathize with what's going on down south & hope it never arrives here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AngusMcDoon; 30-07-19 at 08:06.
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.
    miniwinwm.wixsite.com/miniwinwm

Surely locking an outboard isn't too much hard work, yobs appear everywhere...

Our club is touchwood pretty secure, most hassle is petty - but annoying - stuff in the school holidays.

However a big multihull ashore at winter a couple of seasons ago had the 50 hp outboard stolen, the worst part was they cut the remote cables - not very professional, the engine was found abandoned in a swamped stolen tender nearby, it had a good lock but nothing beats bolt croppers or a cordless angle grinder so they must have come prepared - you can imagine the hassle caused to the owner.

I knew of a boat where vandals got aboard and threw the unlocked cockpit locker lids over the side - they were irreplaceable so a major pain for that owner too.

I think it's a case of enough locks to put off yobs, but not so serious it causes a pro thief to do serious damage.
    Last edited by Seajet; 30-07-19 at 08:42.

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Surely locking an outboard isn't too much hard work, yobs appear everywhere...
    The yobs here are the skuas. You wouldn't want a family of them to roll up & park their vans next door if you're a law abiding puffin.
    Last edited by AngusMcDoon; 30-07-19 at 09:04.

Having kept a couple of boats in Liverpool and its environs over a decade or so this seems an ideal thread to which to contribute.
    I have never had any attempt made to steal from my boat, nor has any one else I know in the area. Strange, eh.
    No doubt some perverse explanation for this will be forthcoming.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Having kept a couple of boats in Liverpool and its environs over a decade or so this seems an ideal thread to which to contribute.
    I have never had any attempt made to steal from my boat, nor has any one else I know in the area. Strange, eh.
    You can't jack up a boat to steal the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Maybe the thought of a long road trip down to the Channel ports is a bit too daunting for the scrotes with more chance of being stopped. There again perhaps the pickings are richer down south.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast