Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Advice chart plotter software for ipad

I may be the only one but I like IMRAY Navigator. I've tried them all and second would be navionics.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
    I may be the only one but I like IMRAY Navigator. I've tried them all and second would be navionics.
    Me too, I like Imray Navigator. Have used for I think three years now.

We have Raymarine with Navionic charts on our main plotters, OpenCPN on our MAC and the Boating app from Navionics on our iPad. We like the iPad software best. The best feature for us is the Sonar charts and we contribute our own Sonar soundings back to Navionics for the Boating app. If you are in "bommie" infested waters like in Fiji, it is an essential piece of equipment. ... although we still managed to find 2 unmarked ones in our present cruising grounds. Drawback: charts are updated weekly and the download for the area is typically 60 + MB. Luckily, the phone sim cards are very inexpensive in Fiji. We use separate battery packs to extend the usability of the iPad.

GL :-)
    1997 Bavaria 46 Exclusive; keel still attached
    ROCNA anchor, shank not bent

Monique

What charts do you use on your Mac? I have a MacBook and am considering buying a windows PC to run open CPN and VMH charts for on board. I have a Raymarine chart plotter with Navionics but am not totally happy with loosing detail at differing zoom levels given I now live up a river with shallow areas.

Those who still use a PC would you share which PC you use and any thoughts. A Panasonic Toughbook seems to come out of many internet searches but there must be others used with varying degrees of success.

Great full for any advice and experience.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

On the Mac we have the OpenCPN software and the available charts from OpenCPN; in this area of the world, the NZ charts are very good! The issue is the GPS input and this took a while to resolve but I am now using a "GPS/Glonass U-blox7" USB dongle and it works like a charm (FleaBay will sell you as many as you want at about £7.00 per unit. We have 3 onboard) There is a special procedure to get it to work with MAC. This was described in a thread about 3 years ago IIRC. I'll see if I can find it and place it on this thread.

Found it: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?455598 . Read it through a few times... unless you are far more of a "nerd" than I. :-)

I bought a PC to run OpenCPN then found the solution for the MAC here; save your dosh and buy me a beer when I get back to BOZO land....

Don't hesitate to use your Mac; works beautifully once you get your GPS connected... GL.
    Last edited by Monique; 28-07-19 at 22:28.
    1997 Bavaria 46 Exclusive; keel still attached
    ROCNA anchor, shank not bent

I use Imray Navigator. I like their chart design much more than Navionics which look dreadful and Imray are raster too so no chance of accidentally missing detail at wrong zoom levels. The navigation tools are decent too.

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    I would look at iSailor before you jump on the Navionics band wagon!
    Please don’t. I have tried iSailor extensively over the past few years; charts can have less detail than competitors and when they had a serious outage a year or so ago, communication was terrible. In addition, if you sail any distance, their pricing is very high. Use Navionics (which is also easier to use) or for cheap raster charts, the excellent Marine Navigator.

Edit: Marine Navigator is Android only..... but worth buying a cheap 2nd hand tablet just to run it!
    Last edited by mbroom; 23-08-19 at 06:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_mischief View Post
    concatenate
    there's a word I had to look up.

Serious question, and I fully understand the difference between vector and raster charts, for those who prefer raster charts, why?
    As a back up I get it, as many sources of information as possible is good navigational practice, but as a main plotter I don't understand the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    there's a word I had to look up.

Serious question, and I fully understand the difference between vector and raster charts, for those who prefer raster charts, why?
    As a back up I get it, as many sources of information as possible is good navigational practice, but as a main plotter I don't understand the attraction.
    Because the details are never hidden. There is to my mind no point in a chart which hides information when zoomed out. You may as well look at a blank piece of paper.

But I understand most people are happy to play zoom in zoom out all day.

we a/b navionics against marine navigator raster for the last 2 weeks.

I like the comfort of proper charts, but in the cockpit, navionics display is superb and clear to see (on an ipad under the sprayhood) that we stopped using the android tablet and will fix up a few permanent mounts for the ipad (it's in a decent waterproof case)

so navionics. However, I use open cpn with admiralty charts for planning on a laptop as it's cheap and good (full uk charts are about £17 a year) but will solely use navionics underway, plus you are always sailing with pretty up to date charts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast