Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hull inspection

Default Re: Hull inspection

I agree the purchase price is only part of the bigger picture.
    I have probably spent as much again on other costs over a decade. For some people the running costs including marina fees must exceed boat purchase costs in a few years.
    The odd few thousand for a good boat is not a lot these days.
    Economies can be had by DIY servicing which I find enjoyable / good experience too.
    I do think there has to be some compromise as a boat with no defects and full service history and reasonably up to date nav kit almost never exists .But if ut does exist it may well justify a high asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    I own same model boat.

Happy to view it for the OP if they PM me.
    Had a funny feeling you might offer ! Extremly generous nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Had a funny feeling you might offer ! Extremly generous nevertheless.
    It's the nature of these forums...

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    And why would you not want to stop at the IOM
    Fair point and probably to be reccomended!

We were on a schedule though so not an option

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Fair point and probably to be reccomended!

We were on a schedule though so not an option
    Very diplomatic

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Very diplomatic
    Your boat won’t run long enough without issue to get here.....unlike Roy

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Your boat won’t run long enough without issue to get here.....unlike Roy
    The way I hear it he very nearly didn't make it back

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Looking at an S38 thats out of the water. Where about on the boats hull do I need to scrape back the AF and what to look for?
    I believe its spray rails and chines but at which points? (will be getting full survey but worth a look now)

If the boats not ran for a few a week would water in the drive oil still be visible on the dipstick due to the oil not being pumped around the drives?
    Need to check as they're being serviced before my survey.

Any other points worth checking whilst ashore?
    One thing to consider when you buy boats older than ard. year 2000 most hull layups are different from today so more boats have the risk of osmosis. When I bought my 2003 the surveyor first did the inspection of the boat itself and ran it to check the engines. After that we agreed to lift her out of the water for inspection of the hull and outdrives. After lifting you need to await the hull inspection a few days as osmosis blisters will show up only 5-10 days after lifting … and then dry out again. Therefore looking for osmosis blisters inspection must be done like one week after lifting.

About possible water in the drive.... If the drive rest for a day you can check for water at the BOTTOM SCREW. If the colour of the drive oil is milky you have a leaking seal. Do not check the oil from the top of the drive as oil will stay on top of water. The oil in the top of the drive can be nice while you have the milky colour in the bottom of the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    One thing to consider when you buy boats older than ard. year 2000 most hull layups are different from today so more boats have the risk of osmosis. When I bought my 2003 the surveyor first did the inspection of the boat itself and ran it to check the engines. After that we agreed to lift her out of the water for inspection of the hull and outdrives. After lifting you need to await the hull inspection a few days as osmosis blisters will show up only 5-10 days after lifting … and then dry out again. Therefore looking for osmosis blisters inspection must be done like one week after lifting.
    Not sure too many Surveyors are aware of this advice ! Boat out of the water in the slings for 30 minutes and out comes the moisture meter. And "oh look the hull is wet" - well what a surprise !
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    Not sure too many Surveyors are aware of this advice ! Boat out of the water in the slings for 30 minutes and out comes the moisture meter. And "oh look the hull is wet" - well what a surprise !
    Once again people are suggesting things to be done that don't happen in the real world. Is a seller or Broker really going to pull their boat out and leave it out 10 days for a possible buyer to inspect... I think in reality no
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast